Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 trans in a 96 Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 AM
letsblaze
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 trans in a 96 Caravan

I picked up a 96 caravan with 137K on it for $250.00 3 weeks ago knowing it may have a messed up trans. I read on another forum that you can use upto a 04 trans if you swap the TCM harness on it, I purchased a 02 trans with 90K on it that came out of a van with a blown head. Its installed but not completely hooked up yet. My question is what am I going to need to get this bad boy running correctly? I forgot to grab the TCM as I thought it was one of the existing wire harness on the trans. I guess I was wrong
Thanks Jason
This is the 4sp trans with a 3.3

Old 01-10-2011, 11:06 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
You don't need the TCM. You need to make sure to use the flex plate from the van,that the transmission came out of. And also the harness connector on the TRS is the same pin connection too.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:27 PM
letsblaze

I used the flexplate and Torque converter from the 02 and hooked it up to the 96 motor, I think all I'm missing then will be the end of the harness for the TRS whichI have no clue what it looks like, if anyone has a good pic of said harness and TRS that would be great. Is this also located by the PCM?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:46 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks exactly your old trans plug in (rectangular with 10 round pin holes) to rectangular with 10 flat pin holes. Tt's black in color on the front edge of the transmission directly below the output speed sensor.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Dodge does make a jumper harness for the transmission. I'll try to find the part number for on Tuesday.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 AM
letsblaze

Ok, I think I have all the harnesses on the trans that the J/Y left on and just cut off like 6-8 inches from the sensor or plug. I may have the sensor I need on the trans and just not had a clue what the heck I'm looking at.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 AM
letsblaze

Trans is installed works great, easy conversion just took tons of time to "fix" what I did from hooking back up in the wrong order. Never knew if you put this in first instead of that then you have to pull this, that and the other just to get to one bolt on the bell housing.
Now I have to fix a power steering line that is shooting straight out on the cat followed by the wiper system since it froze and something happened. The motor makes noise but the arms don't move.

Quick Reply: 2002 trans in a 96 Caravan