Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Issue after I add gas to fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:26 PM
nazran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue after I add gas to fuel tank

2005 Grand Caravan SXT - 93000 miles

For the last few months whenever I add gas to the tank (and particularly when gas was below 1/4 tank before fill up) the engine sputters and starts to stall. Revving the engine appears to correct issue. My initial thought was fuel filter?

Old 12-28-2010, 04:08 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read this post. It describes your problem to a "T".

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...rysler-minivan

Old 12-28-2010, 04:51 PM
nazran

Thanks for the information... depressing because that doesn't sound very DIY or cheap

I have not had the engine die on me yet during one of these instances. What could be consequences of letting this go unchecked (outside of obvious safety issues from stalling while moving, etc)

Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 PM
RickMN
Veteran

DIY'ing a new tank isn't difficult. Time consuming, yes. Expensive, yes. As far as damage.....during that sputtering, (if the cause is really a saturated charcoal canister), the engine is running really rich. That extra fuel can damage the catalytic converter IF it goes on a for long time. But it doesn't sound like that's happening in your case, since the engine isn't stalling and the problem seems to go away after you goose it. However, if the check engine light ever starts blinking, that's a sign of a serious catalytic converter problem. If it were my vehicle and I was strapped for cash, I'd leave it alone. Try re-filling at 1/2 tank instead of 1/4 and see if that makes a difference. Good luck. Report back if anything changes.

Last edited by RickMN; 12-28-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:37 AM
papaduck
Professional

I am having the same problem with my van and I posted it in this forum but did not get a good answer. Thanks for your reply to nazran I now know the fix to my problem.

My van will miss fire for about 1 second after about 1 minute after fueling. This may happen 2 or three times. If the engine is at idle it may stall but will restart easily. This does not happen every time, perhaps 3 out of 4 fillings. I do stop filling the tank when the nozzel clicks off. Maybe not filling the tank completly will help.

Replacing the tank is not an option that I want to do. I seems stupid to replace the tank to fix a valve. Can the valve be cleaned or repared?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 PM
papaduck
Professional

Where is the charcoal canister located?

What would happen if the line from the tank to the canister is blocked?

I know that the charcoal canister is to prevent gas fumes being released into the air.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:54 PM
hemi4spd
All Star

charcoal canisters are usually located in the front drivers side corner of vehicles

here's where they're located under your van:
http://

Old 01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
TJeepman
Professional

Generally, overfilling the gas tank can cause problems with the engine being rough or stalling (on most any vehicle). Don't add that extra bit of gas, after you hear the first click, and you may be okay. Worth a try.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 AM
papaduck
Professional

When it clicks off, I quit filling but the tank is full. If I try to put more in it will only take less than a 0.2 gal.

Quick Reply: Issue after I add gas to fuel tank