Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Door Lock FIX question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Great White Wing
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Door Lock FIX question

I read the threads about battery and fuse pulling. Unfortunately that only lasts a very short time or not at all now.

Is re-flashing the only way to fix the problem?

can I replace the Body Control Module myself?

I want to solve this once and for all but I read here $800 to have the stealer fix it! Aint happening.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is your lock issue? If the locks don't work at all and you get a code in the BCM that reads "Left or Right lock output failure", then you just need the controller to be flash programmed.

If the locks work one way but not the other (lock but not unlock or the other way) and you get a code for drivers or passenger door lock switch stuck, then you need to replace the BCM with a new one. You could probably install one yourself, but there are some things that need to be programmed when it is install so some features might not work correctly.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Great White Wing
Rookie

No codes that I know of, no MIL light and last time I scanned (I have a code scanner) no issues. Just to the point of having to pull the IOT(?) fuse too many times now and it doesn't last long anymore, maybe a day or so. Sometimes not at all.

Locks won't work at all, up or down by either the remote or the switches inside the car. Like others pulling the fuse or battery cable for 30 secs provided temporary fix for months at a time and I could live with that but not every other day.

It's the wifes car so I am concerned about security/safety.

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
What is your lock issue? If the locks don't work at all and you get a code in the BCM that reads "Left or Right lock output failure", then you just need the controller to be flash programmed.

If the locks work one way but not the other (lock but not unlock or the other way) and you get a code for drivers or passenger door lock switch stuck, then you need to replace the BCM with a new one. You could probably install one yourself, but there are some things that need to be programmed when it is install so some features might not work correctly.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:48 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The codes would not be in the PCM and give you mil lite. The codes are in the BCM. You need a scanner to ck for codes.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:03 AM
Great White Wing
Rookie

Anything to add to the original question about repairing or replacing the problem myself?

Originally Posted by master tech
The codes would not be in the PCM and give you mil lite. The codes are in the BCM. You need a scanner to ck for codes.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if the locks don't work at all, then you are setting a code in the BCM for lock output failure. When that code sets in the BCM, the locks won't work until the code is cleared. That is why pulling the IOD fuse would make them work again, the code would clear. There is a flash update for the BCM that makes it check for the issue every key cycle so even if the code was set, if there was no short, the locks would work again. If you keep setting the code, it is very possible there is an issue with one of the lock actuators but you need to start with getting the software update.

Quick Reply: 2005 Door Lock FIX question