Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Grand Caravan fobik keys

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 12:21 PM
damorr00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Grand Caravan fobik keys

Ok I have been unable to get a straight answer on the following from more than 1 dealers:

I lost a fobik key for my grand caravan. I was able to get another from a wrecked van and want to reprogram. Per one dealer this is not possible, per another dealer they have no idea. I have searched the web and most sites claim it can be done.

Does anyone here know the correct answer? I am trying to avoid paying $200 to a dealer for a new key.

Any info is appreciated...

Old 12-31-2010, 05:14 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When a key is programmed to a car, the module in the car learns information from the key being programmed. It also inputs information into the key that is being programmed. Once a key is programmed to a module, it is connected to it, the information in the key cannot be overwritten. So when a key is programmed, it will work on that car only and can't be programmed to another car. You know, keys were recalled on the '08 minivan. Has your van been in for that already?

Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 AM
damorr00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it has unfortunately.... there are lots of people selling these keys on ebay as used. I am thinking my only other alternative is an OEM type product which I can find for about half of what the dealer is charging. But after programming it will still be about $100 for a key. This just kills me you know?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

welcome to the future. Doesn't look like it's getting any better either. Can't even get the new keys for the '11's. bet they're a pretty penny.

Quick Reply: 2008 Grand Caravan fobik keys