Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Grand Crvn

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 07:21 PM
leighbrn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Grand Crvn

Hi Guys,

I have a problem that I cannot seem to track down. Last night, I was driving my van, and everything was working perfectly. Came home, and 45 minutes later, went out to start the van, and it coughed and quit. I tried to start a few times, and nothing. Now, it cranks, but doesn`t catch at all. I checked and I have spark at the plugs. The plug seemed very dry to me. It is a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3L and no real problems other than I changed out the EGR last summer. Unfortunately, it won't start, so I cannot take it somewhere to have any codes checked.

Any ides?

Old 01-01-2011, 07:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
Ck to see if you have spark at the plugs and then ck for fuel from the fuel rail. Or take the air filter housing lid off and spay carb cleaner into the throttle and try to start. If it starts, then the fuel pump maybe your problem why it won't start.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:02 PM
leighbrn

Hi master tech,

Thanks for the reply. I checked the electrical supply to the fuel pump, and there is electricity getting there when the key is turned on. I removed the fuel pump, and applied 5 volts to it, and it spins. However, when I disconnect the fuel line quick connect near the air intake, no fuel comes out when the key is turned over. Does that mean the fuel pump is shot, even though it still turns? I did the quick start in the intake past the butterfly and it would start up ever so briefly. So, I am getting spark. any thoughts? Do you think the pump is shot?

Thanks so much for your help and insight.

Leigh

Old 01-02-2011, 03:08 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

fuel filter plugged? check pressure on the rail?

Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM
leighbrn

The fuel filter is part of the pump, but it appears to be ok. I will have to check pressure at the fuel rail.

Thanks.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:20 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

filter or pressure regulator would be what I'd be lookin at
also pumps can spin and sound like they are working but no fuel out the line says it may not be working
if you got no fuel coming out the line at fuel rail I'll tell you now the pressure test will be zero

you say the pump/filter appears to be ok, have you pulled the pump?

Last edited by hemi4spd; 01-02-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:58 PM
leighbrn

Yeah, pulled the pump out of the tank. Me thinks the pump is shot, since I am not getting fuel at the rail. Just hestitant to drop $350 for a fuel pump, if it really isn't the problem.

I did find a used one at the local wrecker for $60. Is it worth trying a used one?

Thanks,

Last edited by leighbrn; 01-02-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:53 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here was a thread saying how there is a safety valve in the fuel line

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...-no-start.html

here is his post

Originally Posted by cstirnfst
Quick update. The Caravan is now running fine. I learned that the fuel line that connects to the fuel rail has a safety valve inside that was preventing any fuel (or air) from getting through it while it was disconnected. This valve opens when it is connected by the metal line on the fuel rail. Looks like I learned something new :-)

Anyways, had it towed by AAA to a shop who charged the dead battery (from constantly trying to start it) and it started right up for him. My guess is that water from recent rains drenched some wiring. The last time I drove it fine was in the rain. The next morning it wouldn't start. The weatherstripping at the back side of the hood blew off recently so any rain can fall on the engine.

By the time it got to the shop the wires/conponents had dried enough to start like normal. At least that's what it looks like. Thanks everyone for your help.

Nathan

I too had problems with a battery that would work 1 time then 10mins not work
not sure how old you battery is, but sure would be cheaper

Last edited by trophyslayer; 01-02-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:00 PM
leighbrn

Yeah, looked into that thread. I am certain that it is not electrical, as there is power making it's way to the fuel pump, when the key is turned. I definitly don't hear what he described as hearing the pump priming itself. That is what is swaying me towards the pump being shot.

Anyway, wondering if a used pump from the wrecker would be an alternative?

Thanks,

Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 PM
vangonebuy
Rookie

Something not mentioned here. Try another key. 2005 have chip keys.
If you are getting a small red indicator light on your dash, with no indicators to explain itself. It's the chip inside the key.
Usually the car will catch and stall in 2-3 sec's. But it could explain the electronic pumps not working.
Hey, It's a cheap long shot.

Quick Reply: 2005 Grand Crvn