Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Couple codes and other problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 PM
verno316
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple codes and other problems

Hi there,
New to the forum but I have been lurking for quite a while. I have a 2001 Caravan SE 3.3L non flexi fuel.
The engine light is on and giving me codes 1684 0172 0442 and 0455. The two evap codes I'm sure are from the fuel filler neck that needs replacing.
The van is running really rough when its warm. Lots of hesitation when starting from a stop, most times if you take your foot off the gas and then put it back on the accelerator it takes off fine. Coming to a stop the engine will surge a couple times then settle into a smooth idle.
Any idea if the code 0172 is the upstream O2 sensor? I've done the downstream, I'm about to do plugs and wires too.
I was also wondering may the EGR valve needs to be replaced or cleaned?
Whats the word on 1684, most I read says its the battery having been disconnected, but sometimes it says something about the oil pump? My oil pan is dented and it has me concerned.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:44 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
The o2 sensor will give you rough running condition too.Also ck all your evap hose's for cracks.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:44 AM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1684 means batt has been disconnected in the last 50 starts (or has gone flat)
P0172 is code from upstream O2 saying engine is running to rich(doesnt nescessarily mean sensor is bad)
is the engine sucking in any extra air ??

plugs n wires are a good idea then clear codes and see what comes back
the evap codes shouldnt affect driveability

does the engine behave badly when in neutral too?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:23 AM
verno316
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it's fine when its cold. When it's in N it idles fine. It's really just when it's warm and you are giving it gas to take off. It seems to bog down and start to stall, if you let off the gas it smooths out and then you can drive away. If say you are pulling up to a stop light to make a right turn and stop then creep up, when you stop to check traffic, it will surge a couple times and then smooth out again. The quicker you try to accelerate the more it bogs down.
Could the EGR valve be the problem and make it run rich and throw that code? The EGR seems to be right at the front of the engine and it shouldnt be too hard for a newb like me to take it off and clean it.
As for the evap, there is currently no gas cap on it. The day we bought it we put gas in and when I put the cap back on the filler neck at the very top was rusted through and when I twisted the cap on, the whole thing came off in my hand. We tried to have the dealer replace it, but after 3 or 4 tries none of the used or aftermarket ones fit and he refused to buy a new one from the dealer. It seems there are 2 or 3 different filler tubes and the one I have is the one that is hard to find.

Last edited by verno316; 01-08-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:40 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I just noticed your in the 'shwa too (im up by the college)
cleaning the egr would be a great idea and would not hurt(if its broke u cant break it more)

take some plugs out to see if there is evidence of overfueling(check their gap while ur there)or u mention doing some ignition work?Good idea replace em

the EGR can cause a bog or often complete stall

Quick Reply: Couple codes and other problems