Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Low pitch humming

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM
2wheels
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low pitch humming

Hi all, new to the forum but have owned my Caravan for 4 years, love it and think it is a great vehicle.
About 2 weeks ago I heard a low pitch hum when I was driving, it is different and separate from the normal acceleration noises. It sounds like a truck with big mud tires is driving next to me, only a lot quieter. I am not getting any slipping in my gears, no overly long transitions between the gears and no loss of power or acceleration. The noise starts about 10-15 mph, but not when just idling along or in reverse (although I haven't tried to drive in reverse at 15-20 mph yet to see if the noise is evident). I have a 3.3L with 97,000 miles, 2005. I am getting ready to drop the pan on the tranny and change the fluid and filter, (and put in a drain plug in the pan while I am at it) and change the belt. Is there anything else that I can check while I am doing the work, any other parts that may need/should be changed while I am in there that could be the cause? Thanks for any help and input!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
The noise could be alsmost anything, Wheel bearings, front pump of the transmission,power steering reservoir, or the transfer gears on the transmission. Have you tried to isolate the area that you are hearing the noise?

Quick Reply: Low pitch humming