Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2006 Grand Caravan whining

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 AM
luckylindyhopper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Grand Caravan whining

I have a 2006 Grand Caravan that at 60,000 miles has developed a very loud whine on start-up. It usually takes about 3-4 minutes after starting the vehicle for the whine to start and it usually worsens as I turn the wheel while driving. The noise seems to subside once I've been driving for awhile.

I'm taking my van in for an oil change and to get this issue checked out next week, but I want to have some knowledge behind me beforehand. My experience as a female tends to be that the service staff treats me like an idiot and tries to sell me things I don't need.

Any suggestions that I can keep in mind or forward on to the service department would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Old 01-18-2011, 04:30 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Power steering pump?

is the PS resivoir full on fluid?

If the service center you go to makes you feel that way, I suggest another mechanic.
Another way to protect yourself is to not authorise any repairs, specify your only interested in a diagnosis. Then post the shops findings here where you can get more info. you can always go back and give the shop the work at a later time if they are indeed correct in their diagnosis.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and if you are low on power steering fluid, make sure the shop uses atf+4 and not regular powersteering fluid

but since the noise increases when turning the wheel, it sounds like something with the power steering, could be the Resivoir, since they have an internal non-serviceable filter, that I hear can get clogged

Old 01-19-2011, 10:39 AM
jumpdrive2
Rookie

What color is your power steering fluid? If it is dark instead of pink the screen in the bottom of the reservoir might be plugged. Use a turkey baster and remove all the fluid from reservoir. Use long Q tips or cotton rag to reach screen and clean it off. Refill with atf 4.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:17 PM
luckylindyhopper

PS fluid has never been low and I tend to check those things in between oil changes/regular service.

I took it in today and they said it was a rack and pinion leak and it would cost $1200+ to fix. When I asked for more information about the leak, specifically why I haven't noticed it leaking in my garage or on the road leading up to my house, I was given a really vague answer that involved the leak being finicky.

I'd heard through internet research that a clogged reservoir could be at fault, so I asked about that and the guy completely shut me down and said that he'd never heard of that.

I think I will get under the hood tomorrow morning and check the color of the fluid. Thanks for that suggestion!

Quick Reply: 2006 Grand Caravan whining