Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 GC Bad Sway Bushing Pics Posted

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 04:38 PM
2therock
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 GC Bad Sway Bushing Pics Posted

I did the sway bar bushing replacement job today on my 2002 Grand Caravan Sport and thought I would post pics of the bad ones. I replaced them with the blue Moog bushings.

You need to get her in the air and a 15mm deep well socket and 15mm wrench to hold back with. The passenger side is accessible enough but the drivers side needed two 10mm bolts to drop out to move an EGR looking device, thingy, I dunno what it is.
Also for the drivers side if you let the bolt drop out have fun getting it back in. I suggest removing the nut and bushing bracket with care and putting the nut back on it to prevent it from dropping out before proceeding.

If you get under there and look and pry to see if they are bad you will not be able to tell. If you jerk the wheel while driving slowly you can make the thump happen.

After replacing the bushings it is dead silent now. Have fun. The pics below show the insides on top and the outer side on the bottom.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM
2002caravan
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure mine are bad too. I just haven't had time to replace. It's nice to know they don't have to look destroyed to cause the thump because mine "look" fine.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 PM
2therock
Veteran

I hear you.

The job took me an hour from crawling under to ignition for the test drive.

I want to add, an air ratchet will come in SUPER handy. Also there are only two bushings and they come two to a box.
The pics depict the insides and outsides of the two bushings, not four bushings.

I would remove the passenger side 1st, slip the new bushing on and just start the nut on the bolt and let it hang there, then do the drivers side.

The bar may shift off center (see the shiny surfaces) so before locking it down make sure she is back to center. It would most likely self center but I would hate to see it pull a bushing out of the bracket in doing so.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:33 PM
BlaineM
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting this. Mine need replacing. I purchased them a couple of days ago but haven't installed them yet because I haven't been able to muster the courage to crawl under there. Your post helps.

Last edited by BlaineM; 01-29-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 PM
2therock
Veteran
Default Blue Sway Bushing Pics @ 11k & New Style Pics

I replaced the bushings @ 92k with the Moog Blue Bushings.
I purchased the vehicle with 66k on it so I dunno the situation with them.

I only got 11,092 miles out of the Moog Blue Bushings. They made the vehicle sound like I have Q-***** bouncing around in the glove box every time I hit a small bump or crack in the road. The end links are fine.

@ 103092 miles I have installed the new style Mopar bushings @ $24.00 for a set of two with the plastic sleeve inserts.

Here we go again.

Old Blue Bushings @11K Miles

New Style Installed Today 9/7/2011 @ 103092 Miles

Quick Reply: 2002 GC Bad Sway Bushing Pics Posted