Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

accelerator vs shifter issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:09 AM
pitsingerk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 22DODGE22
I wonder if you can check a cable for being stuck? take off one end, push and pull, if it moves easily it isn't stuck? I'd think?
Cable is free, it's the linkage at the transmission that is frozen. I've sprayed the whole area down with PB blaster and turned the linkage back and forth, it's moving but not free enough, I'll keep at it tonight to try to get it moving. Does anyone know anymore about this, if I pull off the linkage and clean it up, would that be enough to keep it working or is this something that is internal to the trans that is causing the problem.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:00 PM
22DODGE22
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your problem is not internal in the transmission. It's mearly corrosion issue of the shafts. The kick down shaft runs thru the centre of the shifter shaft. Over time corrosion can occur. As with any corrosion issues, you need to lossen that bonding affect. Lubricants such as Liquid Wrench can help reduce this problem. However if it is bad enough, you'll need to have a transmission expert remove the transmission valve body, disassemble the 2 shafts, remove the corrosion and reassemble. I'm pretty sure that level of repair would be a bit much for you. So for minimal cost and alittle time, attempting to free it yourself might just resolve the issue.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:22 AM
pitsingerk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cut an old unused socket up to fit over the bracket to make it easier turn it, sprayed the hell out of it with pb blaster and kept working it back and forth. Got it freed up. Now I just have to adjust everything and put it back together. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: accelerator vs shifter issues