Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

ESP / BAS Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
nscolaro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP / BAS Light

I just bought a 2008 SXT Caravan.
Two issues:
1. The ESP/BAS light came on and I brought it to my mechanic. He said my transmission was leaking and he could not help. Brought it to dealership where they said the transmission pan was leaking. They fixed it.
A couple days later the ESP/BAS light came back on. It's been off for about a week now.
Should I be concerned?

2. A couple days ago I started the van and the following did not work: Turn signals (hazards did work), radio, HVAC controls. After shutting the engine off for about an hour, everything worked again.
Should I have this checked, anyone experience either of these problems?

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum, first off, what does a transmission leak have to do with your ESP/BAS lamp being on? Both have to do with the Antilock brakes. ESP is electronic stability program and BAS is brake assist system. Did anyone ever check your abs to see if there were any codes? They probably should.

When multiple systems stop working, you could be experiencing bus communication issues, but if it isn't acting up when you bring it in, it is pretty hard to determine a cause/solution to the issue.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:41 AM
fwaneil
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your battery cable connection, I just paid $75 to the dealership to find out that was the cause of my esp light issue. the service advisor said the ESP/BAS/ABS are first in line from the battery and that was the cause of my issue. This happened on a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

Last edited by fwaneil; 02-07-2014 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added vehicle info

Quick Reply: ESP / BAS Light