Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Gr Caravan w/3.8 EGR problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:36 PM
gordyk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 Gr Caravan w/3.8 EGR problems

Are the EGR valves on 2008 3.8 Gr.Caravans a problem. My mechanic
turned off the light (said it was EGR fault) and the next morning while the vehicle started and ran okay, about three miles into my trip the CEL
pops on again. This Van only has 56K clicks on it, seems a bit early for changing parts. Anybody got any similar experiences. Also is it possible to clean them or is it just considered a throw-away item. Thanks, gordyk

Old 03-29-2011, 07:37 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site. I will move this thread to the Caravan section,
FF

Old 03-29-2011, 09:58 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
If the code came back, then you need to find out why. And no its not too early. When there a problem the ck engine lite will come. Even if you forgot to put the gas cap back on, the lite will come on.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the site

Old 04-06-2011, 05:34 PM
lovvorn
Banned
Default E.xhaust G.as R.ecirculation valve !

Hi , the E.G.R. valve was developed to lower the combustion chamber temp. an keep polution down by adding gas fumes . If your comb. chamber is to hot your computor retards your timing to prevent knocking or dieseling affect . When this happens you loose power an gas milage an polute the air ! Yes ! You can do with out repair to the E.G.R. , but you'll probally get a emision fine if caught an you'll loose enought power & gas milage to cover repair cost in a short time . The pinging could also cause a lot of damage to the piston & valve area ! It's your choise ! Hey , I'm just an ole man thinking out loud ! Good luck Bud

Old 04-07-2011, 05:26 PM
gordyk
Thumbs up

Thanks for your help. Well I now have a new EGR valve and things seem to be working fine. Apparently there was some sort of Repair Bulletin issued by Chrysler that said they could just FLASH the unit. Now I'm not sure if that means a cleanout or what. Even though I had gone past my 3 Years warranty period they performed that for free. Well it seemed to be okay but only lasted about 20 miles and then the Check Engine light came on again. I don't like playing around (or the inconvenience) and I'm sure I would have to change it sooner or later. This way it was just became sooner. I took it back in and just had them put a new one in. They treated me pretty fairly (parts price + Labour) and they gave me a one year warranty on the new unit. I can live with that. Thanks, Gordyk

Last edited by gordyk; 04-07-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: typing error

Quick Reply: 2008 Gr Caravan w/3.8 EGR problems