Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 -The good, the bad, and the ugly

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Snowmann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 -The good, the bad, and the ugly

I'm hoping to get a 2011 Caravan thread going. I have the Crew 29L with a few options. It's a really good van! I've had the 2003 3.8L, the 2007 3.8L and now this one. Without a doubt, it drives incredibly well, has tons of power, sounds great under acceleration (why is engine sound a bad thing), and has a very firm yet smooth ride. I was impressed by my 2003 van's spirited ride but the 2007 version seemed sluggish -likely a product of emissions control. No such worry in the 2011 version. Now on to the interior. I'm not a fan of overly lux interiors...it's a car after all, not a spa (BTW, I've never been to a spa). That said, my trim level feels very upscale without the price. You can go to the several reviews to get all the details. What I'll do is advise on what the reviews don't say. This is really "nit-picking" so here goes. First, the "kilometers/miles-to-empty" indicator goes down to 50 then all you get is a "low fuel" indication. I think those last 50 are so important. I have another vehicle that I took down to 3 and was so thankful of knowing my fuel range at the time. Second, the spatial relationship of the center consul, driver seat armrest and seat belt buckle are such that it's hard to fit your hand in there to press the red button to release the seat belt. I'm now in the habit of raising the arm rest to access it. Third, there's no hard button for the Nav system...seems this has been the case with Chrysler for some time. Furthermore, the touch screen positions this touch screen button option in the furthest corner of the touch screen from the driver's position. Don't get me wrong, this van is the cat's a@#! I like the conservative style, the utility and upscaled interior, and especially the driving characteristics. Dodge did it right on all fronts. Hope to hear from others on this great vehicle. Cheers.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many times I've had someone come in and it said 0 miles to empty and they were still driving........fix it. Nothing to fix, it's an estimate. Hence the Low Fuel message.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Snowmann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Took a long drive over two days over all manner of rural and freeway roadways. The van was loaded right up with windsurf gear including a couple boards on the roof rack. The van averaged 24mpg. I was never without power for passing. Seats were comfortable for long durations and the ride was as advertised, firm but smooth. One issue noted was that with two boards strapped to the roofrack, the satellite radio reception was intermittent. It appears that the sensor is up there somewhere. I intend to orient the boards differently to offer more space between them and the roof of the van up front to see if that has any impact. In any case, this van is a complete winner for long trips.

Quick Reply: 2011 -The good, the bad, and the ugly