Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

yellow engine light

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
carolwalberg@hotmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yellow engine light

the yellow engine light stays on most of the time now, it that the PO406?
What happens if I ignore it?
thanks, Carol

Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your "yellow engine light" is there to indicate the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has stored a fault code. I'll assume you did the key cycle trick to read your P0406 code. The code indicates there is a problem with the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system and chances are the valve is bad or clogged or it's not getting power. You will likely not experience any symptoms beyond the light. If you do then you may notice hesitation on acceleration or a rough idle. It's not something you have to fix today but I wouldn't let it go more than a few weeks for three reasons. First, carbon can build up where it will effect engine performance. Second, your van won't pass an emissions test if required in your state. Third, you'll be emitting high nitrogen oxides, a contributor to depleting the ozone layer and acid rain.

Always tell us your model year and engine size at a minimum.

Last edited by Cougar41; 04-21-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:41 PM
carolwalberg@hotmail.com
Default 2005 SXT Caravan yellow engine light

How do I check the code? Today the light is not on, when the van was under warranty and the yellow light came on they told me to fill up with gas and it would go off, it did, but now it is out of warranty and the gas trick doesn't work.
Can I see the code if I do something with the ignition?
Thanks, Carol

Old 04-22-2011, 05:48 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

i think you turn the ignition on and off 3 times and then leave it to the on without starting the vehicle. it then will blink the code which you have to watch carefully or take it to a place they might just have the code pulled for free. ussually some parts stores.

Quick Reply: yellow engine light