Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Grand Caravan 3.8L ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:46 PM
CaravanCaraman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had an engine (ford 4.6) do the same thing.. sounded like an upper ticking noise.. engine had 14k on it and it ended up being that since most manufactures switched over to plastic intakes that the sounds from the injectors would travel through the thin plastic and sound as if a lifter was ticking.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Van man 07

Originally Posted by FlatRate
Hi all,

I have been tackling this vehicle for several days now and can not identify the issue. The engine does not tick on cold start up, only when warmed. Here is what have been done and what I've figured out so far.

What we've done:
  • Replaced all 12 lifters by pulling head and intakes and valve cover.
  • Changed oil weight to thicker 5w-30 instead of 5w-20.

What we've determined.
  • Definitely top end noise. Partnered with 3 other techs and its agreed that its not lower end due to the speed of ticking vs crank speed.
  • With valve covers off, engine running, ticking can be heard. Oil is clearly circulating.
  • Rocker arms not cracked.
  • Cam lobes seems fine when head and lifters were off.
  • With stethoscope the noise seems to be coming from everywhere. Any point on the rocker towers seems to be the same all across front and rear banks.
  • Listening from oil pan is same. Seems to be same all around.

Not sure what else it might be. Either throw parts at it or replace engine. Shop doesn't want to spend much more money than it already has. Not customer car, everything is all internal cost.

Also looked at similar threads including this one. Not sure what other options or what other possibilities it may be. Any help would be appreciated.

Pull the oil pan and the pick up and rod bearings drain all the oil from the engine clean everything use new rod bearings and put it back together with fresh oil and filter. It will sound brand new. I just did this on my 07 caravan it takes 5 hrs but it doesn't make a single sound

Old 07-06-2016, 06:53 PM
Brucestens

I am working on a 2009 3.8 Dodge Caravan. Sounds like lifter noise. They have had all new lifters put in. What I have found is if you pull the hose that goes from the valve cover to the air cleaner off at the valve cover and put your thumb over the hole on the valve cover while the engine is running the noise goes away

Old 11-15-2016, 08:49 AM
Acrylic-Werks25

Originally Posted by Van man 07
Pull the oil pan and the pick up and rod bearings drain all the oil from the engine clean everything use new rod bearings and put it back together with fresh oil and filter. It will sound brand new. I just did this on my 07 caravan it takes 5 hrs but it doesn't make a single sound
Was the Check Engine light coming on before you did this work? If so, has the Check Engine light remained off after the work was completed?

I'm definitely getting the tapping sound on tap and in cylinder 5. The engine is approaching 136,000 miles...all mine. The rough idle was cleared up by changing plugs, wires and ignition coil. The engine is going through oil at a pretty good rate. I've only used Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic Oil and filters since day one.

I've got to be pretty exact since I'm overseas at the moment and finding a trusty mechanic has been difficult.

Rod Bearing?
Valve Job?
Oil Pump?
Oil Pressure Sending Unit?

All of the above?

Old 06-20-2018, 10:55 PM
Jennifer81

I'm having the same issue with a 2010 Caravan SXT with a 3.8. Replaced the lifters and it's still ticking away, no metal flakes in the oil, no engine light. Has anyone found an answer besides rod bearings? Because it doesn't sound like any bad rod bearings I've had in the past.

Quick Reply: Grand Caravan 3.8L ticking noise