Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'96 Dodge Caravan Hard Start and Stalling issues!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:09 PM
JoshRamMiami
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 Dodge Caravan Hard Start and Stalling issues!

Hello everyone

I have a 1996 Dodge Caravan SE with the 3.0L engine. It has 182k miles on it as well.

Here is the thing.

When I go to start it, It does nothing until the second or third turn and then it will crank right over and run fine at idle. This is when you first start it. If morning, noon or night. As long as it is in earlier attempts to start it.

Now after a while, 15 min, I had no stalling issues. Driving or idleing.

I have no idea why it does the hard starts. After I bough it, Then it started to give me a problem. Try to crank it at least 10 times or so and still would not turn over and when it did, It would die out after 5 minutes of idleing.

I can not drive more than 1 mile down the road before this happens. I notice it does it only when its warm outside but it's odd because I left it for 15 min idleing and then running it for 10 minutes and no problem.

Also, When I slam on the gas to get it to go hard, It would not go WOT. It would just slowly climb. There is no power at all to get the speedo going.

I did that for a test. Now as far as Im being told and with the small amount of things I know...

Fuel Pump ( Looks Original from cap )
Fuel Filter ( it looked replaced )
CAM Sensor
CSP Sensor
MAP Sensor
IACV
Fuel Pump Relay
Pick Up Coil
EGR
O2 Sensor ( Pre Cat Sensor looks new, After Cat looks old )
I HAVE NO MIL CODES! I have rented the tool from AutoZone and had no codes, No anything!

Before I start putting any money in, I would like to know where is the 90% chance of fixing it. I don't know where to begin and hoping someone can offer some advice!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read and help!

( The time I had this problem was yesterday, Today its no problems except the starting issue ) And also I just bought this van yesterday. After I paid for it, Then it gave me problems. Go figure, Can't return it since it was a private sale and you know its sold AS-IS

Last edited by JoshRamMiami; 05-04-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a few things going on. I would start with the fuel pump. The other problems could lead you there but your lack of WOT response is the red flag. Stick a fuel pressure gauge (free at Autozone) on the fuel rail test port. Should see 49 psi all the time. Fuel filters are designed to last the life of the van but can't be faulted for changing it with all these problems and the age of the van considered.

Just to clarify, you sometimes turn the key and nothing happens correct? Could be a problem anywhere in the start circuit but it's a pretty good bet the starter solenoid contacts are shot. Next time it happens tap on the starter with the key in start. If it starts cranking you found the culprit. Make sure the battery and starter connections are clean and tight. Check voltage. All looks good? Change the starter. You can save some bucks by changing just the solenoid contacts.

The stalling could be any number of things including the fuel pump. I would lean more toward a sensor. You'll have to do some testing to determine what's up. Time for new plugs and wires?

Curious. Where were you where you had to rent a scanner from Autozone to read codes? I 've never heard of having to pay for it at an Autozone. Course in Califofnia they can't use a scanner period.

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-04-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:29 PM
JoshRamMiami

I forgot to mention that the front main seal is leaking and my father is thinking that maybe the oil has run down on the started and caused contact issues.

And yes, Sometimes I get an absolute nothing when I try to crank. Not even the cranking noise the starter makes. I have not checked the plugs and wires thuroughly but I have noticed that the wires going to the cap are somewhat corroded.

I tried to get the fuel rail tester from AutoZone but their book said that my engine was not supported in the manual for the kit.

Battery is ok by looks and the fact that radio,window and everything else lights up. Connections are clean and tight.

Could it be the BCM? Since it makes sure all the sensors are working and all?

Last edited by JoshRamMiami; 05-04-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:13 PM
JoshRamMiami

I have a Holley Throttle Body, Is that normal for these motors to have?

In reply to renting the Scanner, Im in a small town in South GA now. I use to be in Miami but a while ago as far as I know they changed the policy on their equipment because someone had took it for days and did not bring it back until later...

Last edited by JoshRamMiami; 05-04-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:00 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

BCM? No. The BCM controls systems like interior/exterior lighting, wipers, instruments, etc. It does control the data bus which is used by some engine functions. I don't see those usual symptoms. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is what controls the engine sensors. You are far from considering that pricey box.

Fuel gauge kit problems. Not too familiar with the 3.0 ltr engine. I'd guess it may not have a pressure test port. In that case you may have to have an adaptor to tap into the fuel line. Maybe someone will pipe in here and give the right info in that regard. Could try another parts store.

Can't help with the throttle body.

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-05-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:36 AM
JoshRamMiami

Ok, If all else fails at least I know to look at the PCM...( Hope not )

And yes, I was reading somewhere online that a guy had a '94 and he had to use a adapter in order to access the fuel pressure. I almost forgot about that!

Funny thing is, I only noticed this problem when going 30-40 mph. If you stay at idle or up to 20 mph or so, It won't cut out.

Should I try to clean the Throttle body? Maybe some carbon build up?

And the fuel pump is a sure thing I need to change right?

Old 05-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

> Bad fuel pump a sure thing? No. Changing a pump, though not a huge task, isn't a walk in the park either. On top of that there are high potential dangers if you DIY it so you don't want to change it unless you absolutely have to. I would try to do what I could to check the pressure. Certainly not gospel but I've read one manual that says the 3.0 does have a fuel rail test port. Look for it and verify then head to a parts store that can loan you a gauge.

> Clean the throttle body? Not sure it would help but who knows. It sure wouldn't hurt. Several manufacturers sell spray cans labeled "Throttle Body Cleaner".

> No cut out up to 20mph. Another indication of a possible weak fuel pump. A weak pump won't deliver enough fuel as demand increases. Again though, other things can cause this. Testing it first is the best thing to do. Without proof you're crossing your fingers at best.

Last edited by Cougar41; 05-05-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 PM
JoshRamMiami

Thanks Cougar for the input. Im gonna look for the port that I can do this at. I put on hold some Chilton books at my local library, Im sure I can find some type of info there.

Im pretty sure that the pump may be weak seeing as the fuel filter is new and I know first hand that you need to change the pump out as well. This has been my personal experience that when you don't, The pump will fail in a short period. YMMV how ever.

The cranking issue...Im thinking something is not engaging when it is suppose to with the starter. Could be anything and like you said...Your crossing your fingers at best...

Im gonna do some more research online and try to find this port.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:07 PM
JoshRamMiami

Okay can't find a test port...

Symptoms again are like this

When turning the key, You get no sound or crank or anything until you try more than once. Sometimes, It just takes two times but sometimes takes more than 3 or so.

When it does crank, It cranks and turn the engine over no problem when it does. Now, When you try for WOT, You get no response from that and the speedo just climbs slowly. Also, After getting warm, The engine tends to stall after a short drive.

Anyone have any clues as to what was going on? Or how I can test the fuel pressure? I don't mind the use of adapters if someone knows how to go that route?

( I only trying to reword what I said in case some people did not understand what I meant )

Old 05-08-2011, 11:38 PM
JoshRamMiami

Okay....I have no idea whats going on. Does anyone have any clue as to what might be happening here?

I forgot once again to mention that this is a Dodge Caravan SE model if that makes any difference

Quick Reply: '96 Dodge Caravan Hard Start and Stalling issues!