Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

02 Caravan Sport - Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 12:34 PM
DeanL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 02 Caravan Sport - Transmission

The transmission was recently serviced outside of Dodge (due to trust issues and no not AAMCO). I also had suspension parts replaced due to another issue.

About 3 months later, there is a noise coming from the transmission. It is intermittent and appears to occur only when I start the vehicle and put it into gear. Not important whether it is hot or cold. When I place the lever into drive and start to drive, there is a clicking noise in the transmission. I already checked the axles. The noise occurs in reverse and forward motion. If I stop place the transmission into park then move the gear lever through all of the gears, place it back into park. Turn off the engine and restart it again. No noises. It drives like a champ. Now, according to the service history I pulled up on this vehicle, there has been transmission work done in the past and there was a recall for a flash at one time. It is now clicking and jerking intermittently. It also sounds as though it is whining loudly in first gear. Once I get it on the freeway, it is fine. I just traveled to San Diego with no problems. In fact, the transmission seemed to run better for a day or two during and after the trip. Help?
Any thoughts or ideas?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:38 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

If the problem keeps up, get it into either a dealer or a transmission shop you trust and verify the noise. I have heard this type of noise, But remember this is only a guess. I think the overdrive reaction plate maybe coming apart or a planetary gear assy.

Quick Reply: 02 Caravan Sport - Transmission