Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Synthetic oil ups and downs advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:58 PM
dogsofwar37
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic oil ups and downs advice

I have a 1995 Dodge Caravan Se 3.3 V-6 4-Speed Automatic. Van has 280000

miles on it. Was thinking about switching to synthetic oil. But have never used the stuff. In any vehicles i have ever owned. Needing suggestions and feedback from other dodge owners out there. Is this oil better for a vehicle that has alot of miles on it ?. Also is there a certain kind. As for the brand to use ?. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and god bless.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:11 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogsofwar37
I have a 1995 Dodge Caravan Se 3.3 V-6 4-Speed Automatic. Van has 280000

miles on it. Was thinking about switching to synthetic oil. But have never used the stuff. In any vehicles i have ever owned. Needing suggestions and feedback from other dodge owners out there. Is this oil better for a vehicle that has alot of miles on it ?. Also is there a certain kind. As for the brand to use ?. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and god bless.

I switched my jeep to mobil 1 10w 30 high milelage synthtic at 115k miles, with out any problems, but I have been the single owner, and I know I maintained it.
the high mileage mix has some seal swelling adatives,
synthtic can help to clean out the engine some

but if I were you, I would just stick to regular dino oil, no reason to risk any problems

Old 05-20-2011, 09:27 PM
mfahey
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Part of it depends on how much oil the engine is using now. It's a lot different replacing a quart of $6-7 synthetic oil as opposed to a quart of $2-3 regular oil. To me, all the synthetic really does is allow you to extend the change interval. That said, I've been using it on our 2001 for the last 3 years and it now has 165,000 miles on it.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil ups and downs advice