Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

03 CARAVAN 3.3 L, fRONT BRAKES OVER HEATING... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Trav604
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 CARAVAN 3.3 L, fRONT BRAKES OVER HEATING... HELP!!!

I have a 2003 caravan with a 3.3l v6 in my shop. It has disc brakes up front and drum brakes in rear and is not equipped with ABS. The front brakes are over heating and we have replaced every component in the braking system basically. We did the pads, calipers, rotors and hoses up front. We did shoes, drums, hardware,cylinders and the load sensing proportioning valve in rear. We have pressure tested all four corners and they are producing the proper amount of pressure. Aprox 1200 psi all around, can get 2000 psi when i stomp on the pedal. This is perfect for pressure readings but still customer comes back with brake noise up front and the rotors are blue almost black from over heating. We have flushed the entire system and replaced the master cylinder. All parts we have been using are top quality. Has anyone experienced a problem like this...pls help my head tech is about to hang him self.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:48 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF

Tell the tech not to hang himself. All techs have been there. Is the van leaving and comes back with the owner driving? How long after does the van come back? I would have either you or a tech, go on a road test with the owner and watch how they drive. The owner maybe a two footed driver, Or take off from a stop sign at full speed and the slams on the brakes or drives with the left foot on the brakes all the time.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Trav604
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that occured to me already. The head tech and I both went with the customer to see if his driving habits where the cause of the problem, but he was not aggresive with the vehicle and did not use two feet. It takes the customer about half a day of driving before the problem returns. Back in 2008 we replaced the pads on the vehicle and everything was fine.

We have a brake master tech from raybestos coming to take a look. So hopefully he can give us a solid answer on the cause..

I appreciate the time you have takin to reply to this if you have any more ideas pls let me know.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:49 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Keep me posted on what they find.

Quick Reply: 03 CARAVAN 3.3 L, fRONT BRAKES OVER HEATING... HELP!!!