Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1991 Dodge Caravan wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:19 AM
kingdak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Dodge Caravan wont start

Posting a new question, hoping that some one can help: Have a 1991 Dodge Caravan, 3.3l ran fine then stopped running one day. Pulled fuel pump out and replaced, replaced fuse relay, know that its got current "cause I can feel the relay kick in when starting. The van turns over just fine. Starter fluid causes it to almost run.... So all I can figure out is that its starved of fuel, Plus the pump is silent in the tank. even though the relay kicks in... I cant here the pump turn on........ cant pull codes off of dash board by doing the 'key dance'. idiot light says 'check gauges' . all fluids are fine, battery is fine.... any help would be great, thanks.

Last edited by kingdak; 05-31-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give the tank a few whacks while someone cycles the key,
if that dont work u'll have to get the plug off at the fuel pump and check for voltage and ground

Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
You can give the fuel tank a whack, But also ck the fuel pump for power and ground too. You could have a blown fuseable link.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:30 PM
kingdak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the answers! I'm still stumped though.. I replaced the fuel pump and have already whacked the tank, to no avail. I have a feeling that there's no current getting to the tank. I was digging around and found that the ignition coil has a crack on one side and had some plastic leaking out of it! not good. So I replaced it and checked for spark. no spark. Plus What is a fusable link, where is it? how do I fix it? Thanks!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

You will find the fuseable links next to the washer bottle/tank on the bulkhead/firewall. Use a 12 volt test lite and ck each one. A fuseable link is the same as the fuses are.

Quick Reply: 1991 Dodge Caravan wont start