Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2001 Caravan Oil Pan Gasket Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 AM
rinse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Caravan Oil Pan Gasket Change

Hey Everyone, I noticed that the pan was pretty wet this morning, time to Change. I am just wondering if I need to any tips for this, or is it as straight forward as it seems. I know there is a gasket, but should I put sealant on as well (the great stuff)? Does anyone know the torque for the bolts. or pattern to reinstall. I am a newbie home repair, but this seems like something I can tackle!

Thanks for any help!

Rinse

Old 06-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

INSTALLATION
  1. Clean sealing surfaces and apply a 1/8 inch bead of MoparŽ Engine RTV GEN II at the parting line of the chain case cover and the rear seal retainer (Oil Pan Sealing).
  2. Position a new pan gasket on oil pan (OIL PAN).
  3. Install oil pan and tighten fasteners to 12 Nˇm (105 in. lbs.) (OIL PAN).
  4. Install cover to transaxle case (Powertrain Struts and Transaxle Case Cover).
  5. Install the strut bolt to transaxle housing (Powertrain Struts and Transaxle Case Cover). Tighten all bending brace bolts.
  6. Install the drive belt splash shield.
  7. Lower vehicle and install oil dipstick.
  8. Connect negative cable to battery.
  9. Fill crankcase with oil to proper level.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:56 AM
rinse

Thanks Tizzy! Greatly appreciated. Where do you get your info? What program?, I was thinking of subscribing to one, but I am not sure which one!

Thanks again!

Old 06-02-2011, 01:19 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Tizzy. I have two brackets that make it impossible to get my oil pan cover off without first removing them. I have 06 grand caravan. Any tips about how to remove them and the size of the nuts needing removed. I removed the tranny pan and change filter fluid--no problem but oil pan looks more difficult.

Old 06-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bracket 7 and 3 need to be removed as well as cover 6. I come over the rear of the cradle with a swivel socket and long extension. Bolts 8 should be 18mm, bolts 4 should be 15mm and bolts 2 should be 10mm.

Rinse, I am a dealer technician and that is where I get my information from.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Hey Tizzy I believe it is really swell of you to help so many when I can see that you go to work --and work on cars and then help so many others. Thank you from so many of us, that are aware of a person who gives his time to assist others.

scott

Quick Reply: 2001 Caravan Oil Pan Gasket Change