Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Grand Caravan Trans issues begin!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 PM
pacific
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pacific
I took my van in for it's 18,000 k. oil change, with my usual complaints about the heavy shifting CLUNK when in Econ mode, from 1st to 3rd, as well as the complaint about after stopping for a short time (going into a store, returning in 5 min.) there being a LOUD THUD shifting from P into D.

It's has all gone away! The trans shifts smooth and quiet, just like one would think it should, in all modes. I'm a happy camper now.

The Service Write-up reads thus:

Check for intermittent clunk on trans engagement
Scan for codes, no codes related to trans operation
Performed quick learn to trans controller
Road tested and shifts better now

So if you are having a similar problem, get then to do the "Quick Learn to Trans Controller" - I have no idea what this is/does but who cares,it worked for me!
So I now drive around using the "Econ" mode all the time. I know that the most valuable way to save gas is to go lightly on the gas pedal, but the (claimed) 4-5% savings using the Econ mode helps, too!
Update to this posting:
The shifting IS much better, but there still IS the odd "clunk!" in shifting from P to D, or from D to R.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Scotty07

How do we "open a case with Chrysler"??
In the US call: 1-800-423-6343 (1-800-4A-DODGE)

In Canada call: 1-800-465-2001

Have your VIN number handy as they will need that. If they get enough complaints about the clunking transmission then we will get a solution.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:46 PM
1wraith
Amateur

Update to this posting:
The shifting IS much better, but there still IS the odd "clunk!" in shifting from P to D, or from D to R.
Ditto. 18K mi I had the transmission re-programmed. Shifting is much more responsive but there is still a clunk with low speed shifting in both regular and econ mode. Not only can I still feel it, I can also hear it. The Dodge rep called to ask how my repair went as I called the 800#. I let them know this and requested to have someone call to speak to me about it. I'll post up more if I find out more.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 PM
pacific
Amateur

Thanks for sharing that info; I look forward to any new findings. If it is common enough, we may make a difference. Would be nice if we remember the new Pentastar Caravans in a positive light.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 AM
gentz
Professional

Well this transmission clunk is not normal...it eventually gets worse..Mine is at 23k miles and it is getting worse, has a random clunk, and very bad shudder.....I know its a transmission issue but DODGE just doesnt admit to it. My previous 2008 never had a single shudder ....

Old 10-30-2012, 05:08 PM
jasondupree1980
Lightbulb ECON MODE IN 2011 Grand Caravan

I have also noticed the hard shift when running in econ mode in the 2011 dodge grand caravan mainstreet edition..

I have also noticed that when NOT in econ mode it shifts just fine

The econ button is set to shift to higher gears faster than it actually should to reserve fuel..

If you run in town mainly, do NOT use econ button..However, if you do a lot of highway travelling the econ button activated at highway speeds does not have this effect..

In conclusion Use the button when doing highway travelling & do NOT Use the button while in town if you do not like the hard shift.

Hope this helps anyone reading

Jason

Old 10-30-2012, 07:38 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty07
We are definitely not the only ones with this issue. As I stated in a previous thread, the dealership says they see this almost everyday. I encourage everyone to open a case with Chrysler and perhaps if enough of complain then something will be done.
Forget Chrysler. File a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, the agency that issues safety recalls. Not a safety issue? I could list a dozen scenarios.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:27 AM
1wraith
Amateur

No call back from Dodge yet. Taking it in again this Sat. I will post what I find out.

Anyone read the Car& Driver long term Jeep test? Sounds like it has the same issues.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:55 AM
Wade S
Default The last resort!

Well gents, its been a long time since I posted last. Here is an official update. After struggling to get answers from Dodge in regards to my tranny's hard shifting, bouncing while in reverse and shifting at 5000 rpm when pulling a tent trailer, I have decided to retire my 2011 Dodge Caravan Crew( with only 12000 kms on it). I know not everyone can do this financially but with only losing $1,500 on my trade it was well worth the piece of mind! I am now the proud owner of a New 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 (Big Horn Crew Cab). With almost $12,000 in rebates and incentives and 4.49 % financing it was a no brainer! If you can, get out now do so! Nobody wants to pay for a dead horse and Chrysler isn't willing to do anything! Good luck to all involved and I assure you I will post any issues I have with my truck. Cheers Wade

Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Big Dogy

Originally Posted by Wade S
Well gents, its been a long time since I posted last. Here is an official update. After struggling to get answers from Dodge in regards to my tranny's hard shifting, bouncing while in reverse and shifting at 5000 rpm when pulling a tent trailer, I have decided to retire my 2011 Dodge Caravan Crew( with only 12000 kms on it). I know not everyone can do this financially but with only losing $1,500 on my trade it was well worth the piece of mind! I am now the proud owner of a New 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 (Big Horn Crew Cab). With almost $12,000 in rebates and incentives and 4.49 % financing it was a no brainer! If you can, get out now do so! Nobody wants to pay for a dead horse and Chrysler isn't willing to do anything! Good luck to all involved and I assure you I will post any issues I have with my truck. Cheers Wade
If you can, get out of Dodge completely (no pun intended) and buy a Toyota!

Quick Reply: 2011 Grand Caravan Trans issues begin!!!