Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Grand Caravan 2008, aftermaket radio installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 AM
realbob
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Caravan 2008, aftermaket radio installation

- Every one tells me that I need a special harness with a control module in order to use an aftermarket radio. If I only plug standard radio wires and antenna they told me I will get errors in computer dash?????

- I have original backup camera. Is there a way to modify wire to make it RCA video so I can use in aftermarket radio? And where is that wire? In back of orignal unit I have antenna wire (which I need an adapter to use aftermarket), a small plug with 3-4 wires (I guess is steering wheel and data to know if door is opened) and standard wire plugs for speakers and 12v.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a 22 pin gray connector on the radio, pins 3, 4, and 5 are the camera wires. 3 is signal, 4 is signal return and 5 is the shield.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:19 PM
realbob

Hi, again Tizzy1, thanks! I plugged into a small monitor to test and it worked out! But the connector is white, the grey is the big one will all other wires!

Now only need to know what is the pinout of the main grey connector. I have a picture here, anyone can tell me what are the wires for, specially the steering wheel and car backup signal (to tell radio that you are backing up and swith to backup camera signal).

I assume that:
black is ground
big yellow with red is 12v
white/orange line: Illumination ???
grey/grey: constant 12v ???

and others?

Thanks!

Old 06-08-2011, 08:14 AM
realbob

Ok, finally found that I cannot use a standard radio harness. I need to purchase a box converter module. Since the 12v and Acc 12v is not separate wire on original harness!!!

So you need a Scosche CR07SR module, then a VWA3B antenna adapter and a CR1291B for 2din dash trim kit.

The CR07SR module will allow to have all standard wires for aftermarket radio, but also provides easy steering wheel wires, reverse signal and parking signal.

If someone has a factory camera, then buy an RCA connector and take out pins 3, 4, and 5 from the center 22 pins module (white on my van). Then build the RCA connector: 3 is signal, 4 is signal return and 5 is the shield. Now you can use aftermarket radio with backup camera!

Only issue is that if you have a van with an Amplified system (usually with a factory sub), then you won't be able to have fader (adjust front to rear volumes separately). But hey!, better than nothing!!!

UPDATE: In order to be able to use steering wheels controls, you need 1 or 2 other modules depending on the radio you need to install!

Last edited by realbob; 07-18-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-23-2019, 06:23 PM
boxafella

I know this thread is ancient; but is there any chance you figured out what those two wires were right next to the positive (yellow/red)?

Quick Reply: Grand Caravan 2008, aftermaket radio installation