Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

gasket or sealant? - tranny fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:19 AM
LSUfan71
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gasket or sealant? - tranny fluid change

Just now getting around to changing tranny fluid after about 120,000 on my '05 Caravan SE (4cyl/auto). My new Wix filter comes with a new black rubber gasket. However, the manual calls for sealant and sealant was used at the factory.

Anyone ever had any problems using a gasket instead of sealant?
Recommendations? Is it even an issue?

Old 06-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gaskets almost always leak. Use the sealant.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:37 AM
mirageman
Professional

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
gaskets almost always leak. Use the sealant.
I always get the opposite....for me, tubed sealant ALWAYS leaked and actual rubber gaskets without any other added sealant never leaked. the issue is how well prepared the surfaces are and how clean the threads are for all your bolts. if you go with the sealant, you have to apply a bead all around, very messy. you also have to only slightly tighten the bolts and let it hang there for a few hours and then tighten the bolts. this is why it is important that your threads and bolts are clean. if they are dirty or rusty, you will be inaccurate in proper torqueing of all the bolts so some parts of the pan will be tighter than others. many recommend chasing all the threads with a tap of the proper size to clean them. why bother? then you also have to worry about if some of the non-dried silicone was accidentally squeezed into your pan and floating around in there, eventually breaking down enough to get past the filter and and settling somewhere where you don't want it like your valve body.....do yourself a favor and use the rubber gasket without any kind of dressing. will be way easier for you and cleaner for this application and the next time you take it off. if it leaks, just tighten the bolts a little bit more. also if your pan is not perfectly flat all around, some places will mate closer than others. not much of an issue with the rubber gasket.

Last edited by mirageman; 06-11-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:40 AM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used the sealant when i changed mine, no problem, no leaks

Old 06-11-2011, 02:45 PM
LSUfan71
Amateur

OK, thanks for the replies. I got the cover off, waiting for for this constant drip of tranny fluid to stop, steadily coming out. Can't use sealant because the drip won't stop long enough to get the pan on with new sealant.

I guess even a few drops of fluid will prevent the sealant from making a good seal??

Last edited by LSUfan71; 06-11-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:24 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSUfan71
OK, thanks for the replies. I got the cover off, waiting for for this constant drip of tranny fluid to stop, steadily coming out. Can't use sealant because the drip won't stop long enough to get the pan on with new sealant.

I guess even a few drops of fluid will prevent the sealant from making a good seal??

it's normal to keep dripping, if you dripping was from the rear like mine, I prepped the pan with the sealant, then right before I pressed it into place, I ran a clean rag around the drip area, then pressed the pan on, hand started the bolts, then alternated tightning, did not wait any time to do it, other then about 5mins after putting the sealant on the pan and getting my large frame under the car, then I refilled and that was it

I did Not clean the bolts at all, just the surface and no problems

Old 06-11-2011, 03:26 PM
LSUfan71
Amateur

Originally Posted by trophyslayer
it's normal to keep dripping, if you dripping was from the rear like mine, I prepped the pan with the sealant, then right before I pressed it into place, I ran a clean rag around the drip area, then pressed the pan on, hand started the bolts, then alternated tightning, did not wait any time to do it, other then about 5mins after putting the sealant on the pan and getting my large frame under the car, then I refilled and that was it

I did Not clean the bolts at all, just the surface and no problems
I'll try and get it done with sealant, save the gasket just in case...

Quick Reply: gasket or sealant? - tranny fluid change