Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

02 Tranny Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 10:01 AM
carafan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Tranny Question

I have a chance to buy an 02 with only 130 thousand k the owner says that he was told by a transmission shop that the throw out bearing was bad ? Unless im mistaken auto trannys dont have them ??
Apparently (i havent looked at it yet) the trans does nothing when put in gear it was working stuck in third when he took it in they said (same transmission shop) that a wire leading to a sensor was bad and they repaired it im thinking solenoid wiring was the cause there ? Then apparently soon after it just stopped working now they say throw out bearing ?
Not a lot of info i know im going to look at it later and would like a few ideas what to look for here beyond the fuid of course.
Also if the tranny needed to be replaced i have a 2000 here with a rebuilt 4 speed i think they are both the 41TE ? Would the 2000 tranny from a 3.0 fit the 02 3.3 ? I would imagine i would have to take the TCM from the 2000 but other than that willl they fit mechanically ? Any caveats or gotchas to be aware of ?
I would rather try to fix the tranny in it but if replacement is the only way ....

Old 06-19-2011, 05:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

No the 3.0 transmission will not work in a 3.3 engine. You need to get one out of either a 3.3 or 3.8. And automatic don't have throw out bearings. They do have an input shaft that goes into the torque converter.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:24 PM
carafan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
No the 3.0 transmission will not work in a 3.3 engine. You need to get one out of either a 3.3 or 3.8. And automatic don't have throw out bearings. They do have an input shaft that goes into the torque converter.
That makes more sense ok would the input shaft just go kaput just like that no warning ? The tranny shop didnt haul it apart they just told him that the throw out was bad obviously he mis heard them . Im a little suspicious since he just had a wiring issue with a sensor fixed that this could be another electrical issue . Is it true you can force limp mode by disconnecting the solenoid pack ?

Old 06-19-2011, 11:21 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

If you don't know whats wrong with the transmission, you would need to have someone ck for codes, CVI and perform a clutch test. An input shaft would only if the seals are leaking, causing a torque converter code. If it were my transmission, I would tear it apart and inspect for the cause of the failure.

Quick Reply: 02 Tranny Question