Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'03 caravan dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 PM
STLMISERY07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 caravan dies while driving

I have an '03 Grand Caravan Ex, 3.8L V-6, while driving, the abs & brakes lights come on, the gauges sweep, and the vehicle dies. It does restart every time. Could this be a ground or other connection-type issue? Or, am I looking at a PCM replacement? Thanks, Ken

Old 06-20-2011, 02:41 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnect the negative battery cable then take a close look at the connections on the IPM (fuse box). Clean any corrosion and check for any damaged contacts. If you still have problems access it's internal circuit board. If you see corrosion there replace the IPM. The IPM on early 4th generation vans has a reputation as a corrosion magnet causing a list of problems. Your PCM won't make the gauges sweep or kill the ABS. Overall it sounds like something effecting the data bus. The IPM is a good starting point. Are you seeing the service engine soon/check engine light and have you checked for codes?

Last edited by Cougar41; 06-20-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:12 PM
STLMISERY07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check the connections at the IPM. I'm not real familiar with the electronic side of vehicles- do I just take the cover off of it, and look at it, or do I have to remove the IPM? If so, how does it come out? I am not seeing a check engine light, the brake/abs lights come on, the gauges sweep, and it dies. It normally restarts immediately. I did try to unlock it yesterday with the remote, and it had no power. I got in, turned the key- and nothing. I hit the brake pedal, and everything came on instantly. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Thanks again!!!

Quick Reply: '03 caravan dies while driving