Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Dodge Caravan 97 Engine knocking-rattling

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Reppers666
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Caravan 97 Engine knocking-rattling

Hello,

Story: Van has been driving ok for 11 months. transmission fluid always has to be topped. oil has never seen any significant drop.

2 days ago, I notice a smooth rattling. thought it came from me removing the top of the engine (intake) to change alternator. after driving 30 miles... engine was knocking like I was on a battlefield. checked engine. oil dry.

I posted a short vid on youtube.

Question: what do you think it is? Is it worth changing (do myself)

Caravan 97, 6cyl.

thanks

Dodge making too much noise

Last edited by Reppers666; 07-02-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-02-2011, 03:27 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
If you where to remove the fan belt, is the noise still there? If it is, it sound like the rear rocker tower is broken on the rear head. Remove the valve cover and inspect the rockers.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:31 PM
gentz
Professional

Yea sounds like upper valve-train noise. I would see in what valve cover the noise is coming from and remove that....if the problem is there then you will for sure see something damaged...did you add oil?

Old 07-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Reppers666
Default tanks

yes I did add oil and yes the sound comes from the rear. I may try to remove the valve cover and inspect it ... again, thanks for info guys.. ur rock.. ers.. lol

enjoy ur long weekend

Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 PM
05Van

I just went through something very similar to this, check out my thread on lifter oil starvation.

Turned out three rod bearings were shot and causing upper-end noise. I found this out after tearing apart the whole top-end including heads only to find no issues and replacing lifters and pushrods.

At least on the 05 GC, dropping the oil pan to inspect the bottom end was very easy. Right away I found flakes of bearings in the bottom of the oil pan. I change the oil responsibly but one day it went dry at 3K miles and the loud noise started in the top end, sounded like a diesel engine, but certainly no bottom end thumping as I would have expected.

This forum is a good read too:http://vlane.com/discuss-topic/1300/...engine-failure

Seems rocker shaft failure was an issue in earlier models but was improved in the early 2000's.

Hope this helps...

Old 07-07-2011, 10:45 AM
mirageman
Professional

did you put a new oil filter as well? if it is caked up in there from never changing it, new oil will not help.

Quick Reply: Dodge Caravan 97 Engine knocking-rattling