Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Van not starting after service....Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Stein002
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van not starting after service....Please Help!!

I will start from the beginning. My 2003 Caravan SE 3.3L has been running rough and sputtering at idle. I had two codes a P0302, and P0306 these are misfire codes so I went and did a full tune up, plugs wires air filter oil change. After all this the codes went away and the van ran great for a day. I was then on the highway and all of a sudden the check engine light came on and the van lost all power, was smoking from the tail and has a very strong smell of gas from the tail pipe. The computer gave me a code of P0202, this is a bad injector in cylinder #2. So, I pulled that plug and it was soaked in gas, the oil smelled like gas, and still the smoke form the back. This would tell me the injector is stuck open and pouring gas in the engine. I just replaced the #2 injector and all the o-rings on the others, put the van back together and tried to start it. The van turned over about 5 times and stopped, now here is the strange part, now there is the sound of an electric motor turning when I place the key in the on position and when I turn the key to start the van does nothing. I turn the key back and the sound comes back still the van will not crank. I can't imagine what would cause this is the starting system and the fuel system are two totally different systems.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:15 PM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on 3.3 L the wirig harness that runs around the valve cover have a tendency to melt together. dont know if this is an issue on your year model , but wouldnt hurt to investigate. The symptoms sound similar though.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Stein002

Thank You Hemi, I will look in to that tonight. I also forgot the Idle Air Control motor is also humming, it is humming at all times, even with the key off and motor off. I unplugged the connector from it and it stopped, plugged it in and it started again. This has never happened before on this van either.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:23 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I had one today with misfire codes. Did a compression test. 175 psi on all cylinders and then inspect the wire harness. Guess what, all of the wires on the injector harness were melted together. That was on a 2002 3.3 engine. Oh the engine was tune-up at other shop.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:56 AM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im scratchin my head as to why it wont crank tho????

Old 07-09-2011, 03:10 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hemi4spd
im scratchin my head as to why it wont crank tho????
Maybe the bendix gear in the starter isn't extending enough to engage the flywheel so the starter just spins. Could be a weak battery or connections or a bad starter. Is that your "electric motor sound"?

Old 07-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Stein002

Hey, Sorry its been a few days, it has been a crazy week.

So.. now the van cranks now, I'm not to sure why but it just started to crank. It now seems that there is no spark. I checked the wires with a timing light and there was no light. I did make sure the light works on another car. The coil pack has power to it as a checked it with a meter and all the sensors have power as dose the fuel pump. I did notice that the ASD relay was clicking. I know this is the Automatic Shutdown Relay but I'm not sure what it shuts down. I'm at a bit of a loss with this. I could also use a wire diagram of the ignition system if any one has one or knows where i can get one.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far.

Quick Reply: Van not starting after service....Please Help!!