Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Slow A/C coolant leak & can't recharge

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:38 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The one that circle in green is the a/c transducer. No you don't add there. the one in blue is the high pressure line. the one above the expansion valve is the low side hose.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:33 AM
hemi4spd
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes u add where you have circled blue
those other parts u have circled in red are not related to the a/c
the green circle is the pressure switch

where would the evaps fail Tizzy? I havent had one, more stones through condensor but I no way see as many of these as you do

Old 07-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Mikeb-rick
Rookie

Yep my dad tried the high pressure side a few years ago without knowledge. Idiot Glad the can didn't blow up.

Im going to go pick up a can of refrigerant with UV dye with a UV light and a can of regular refrigerant without any leak sealant and do that this weekend hopefully. Also put the can on the low pressure side.

The pressure switch would be for the compressor clutch right?

Old 07-22-2011, 12:24 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dodgecaravan2010--What is the orifice mentioned above. I though caravan had expansion valves not orifice tube. I don't think you're saying orifice tube but just orifice (opening of a tube)>but you said look for fillings, that makes me think orifice. I'm trying to learn. You said check the meter. What meter?

Mikeb--you dad is not an "idiot" he is just a dad trying to help. That makes him a hero. He couldn't have done anything wrong to system, the attachement for high and low side prevents that from happening.Keep pressing, you will figure the problem out. By the way, i payed 35 dollars last year for expansion valve.

Mike you specified your a/c was warm in front section. Does that mean your rear section was cold?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:04 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

im sorry if i mislead you but i dont work on vehicles and ive only seen the previous ones with orfices. now if they using txv expansion valves even better they have better control in a system.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:14 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Dodge does use a orifice filter, just not in caravans. You will find them in the ram trucks, Libertys and dakotas and I'm sure there is a few others.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Mikeb-rick
Rookie

Originally Posted by scotter5
dodgecaravan2010--What is the orifice mentioned above. I though caravan had expansion valves not orifice tube. I don't think you're saying orifice tube but just orifice (opening of a tube)>but you said look for fillings, that makes me think orifice. I'm trying to learn. You said check the meter. What meter?

Mikeb--you dad is not an "idiot" he is just a dad trying to help. That makes him a hero. He couldn't have done anything wrong to system, the attachement for high and low side prevents that from happening.Keep pressing, you will figure the problem out. By the way, i payed 35 dollars last year for expansion valve.

Mike you specified your a/c was warm in front section. Does that mean your rear section was cold?

No rear A/C pretty much a basic caravan Yea hes not an idiot. Actually someone at autozone showed him where to connect the hose

I bought 2 cans of refrigerant with UV dye, a can of regular coolant, UV light, and a low pressure gauge to fill up. Spent $80

Put the A/C on high and the A/C on. I put the can on the low pressure side and it took it and after a minute or so the compressor kicked on and had cool air. Then added the other 2 and super cold air. Checked for any leaks and no yellow dye anywhere. Even around the compressor or the air vents inside.

Drove around for a good 90 minutes and went to the grocery store which I could never do with out the A/C. I can't find a leak. So it must be a very small leak. I will check again later today and tomorrow to see how it's doing. Im very happy that it took the refrigerant and the compressor kicked on for the 1st time in a year or so

Old 07-23-2011, 05:40 PM
scotter5
Veteran

IT feels good to accomplish something, right? Keep looking for those pesky leaks. It looks like you may not have bad expansion valve--unless intermittent--and it probably isn't that--so as you said probably a small leak--maybe in evaporator--but if you can get a/c for 6 mths or even 3 mth at a time before a can of recharge, that will work.

scott

Old 07-23-2011, 10:44 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

dye will only work after it has some time to go around the system and work itself out of the leak. mybe one of the cans said sealer? if so that stuff may of sealed it but i heard sealer aint that good in a car ac system.

Originally Posted by Mikeb-rick
No rear A/C pretty much a basic caravan Yea hes not an idiot. Actually someone at autozone showed him where to connect the hose

I bought 2 cans of refrigerant with UV dye, a can of regular coolant, UV light, and a low pressure gauge to fill up. Spent $80

Put the A/C on high and the A/C on. I put the can on the low pressure side and it took it and after a minute or so the compressor kicked on and had cool air. Then added the other 2 and super cold air. Checked for any leaks and no yellow dye anywhere. Even around the compressor or the air vents inside.

Drove around for a good 90 minutes and went to the grocery store which I could never do with out the A/C. I can't find a leak. So it must be a very small leak. I will check again later today and tomorrow to see how it's doing. Im very happy that it took the refrigerant and the compressor kicked on for the 1st time in a year or so

Old 07-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Mikeb-rick
Rookie

Originally Posted by DodgeCaravan2010SXT
dye will only work after it has some time to go around the system and work itself out of the leak. mybe one of the cans said sealer? if so that stuff may of sealed it but i heard sealer aint that good in a car ac system.

I made sure there is no word of sealer on the cans. I've read the problems that causes.

Still going strong today. Checked the lowside and no drop in pressure and no leaking as far as I can see.

I think the top large line (low pressure side) is cold and the high pressure line is warm when running the A/C. Or it might be the other way around as I forgot.

Quick Reply: Slow A/C coolant leak & can't recharge