Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

A/c needs oil, right? HOw much?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 02:11 PM
scotter5
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/c needs oil, right? HOw much?

I have a small clue but not sure about how much oil to add. Installing compressor and accumulator.

Book says to measure oil drained from old compressor, then add same amount of oil to new compressor. Book says add .8 oz to Accumulator. Can I stop there or do I have to take into account for evaporators, if two and condensor or only if I am flushing system? Won't flushing remove oil for it.

So i need to add more then just for the compressor right and accumulator. I have to account for condenser , evaporator (s) and lines right?

How much oil can be added to the ports on the rear of the new compressor before spill over? Can i add half to the accumulator, doesn't all go in the system anyway?

P.S. If the compressor is not out of business but just making noise (bearings) then why flush the lines, if i got to it before it crashes?

Anyone responding please tell me in your words if possible instead of manual unless you think its better. Sometimes manual directions, maybe they were written by engineer and they think more sophisticated then regular Joes. But I will take any help in understanding.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:50 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

oil will travel but all depends on what gets stuck downstream. the only thing that needs to have oil is the compressor. so condensor and evaporator in theory should not have any in them for the heat transfer but in the real world oil gets logged in them. not the greatest thing. so if book says to add to the compressor and accumulator then do so. just blow out the evap and condensor maybe into a bucket. estimate what oil u picked up. if lots then the compressor u removing will not be filled as required.= so i probably add half of it into system. mostlikely bearings went cause poor lubrication.
sticker in the front vehicle dont say how much oil in oz the system takes. underfilling is bad but overfilled can also cause some issues too.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 PM
scotter5
Veteran

Condenser says to put 1.7 oz in it; .8 oz for accumulator; and compressor and evaporator drain and measure oil coming out, then replace in new one accordingly.

But I am not replacing condenser or evaporator, but will i be blowing out oil when flushing. It would be hard guess at amount blow out.

Therefore
a. 2.5 oz for condenser and accumulator
b. ?? oz for oil coming out of oil drained from old compressor
c. How much for evaporator (s)?? I don't know I am not draining it because not replacing
it What do I do? Haynes book says measure it. I can't. I am just flushing it out.

##I heard expansion valves shouldn't be flushed. So what about those. I have one in rear and one in front. What gives with that?

Its easy to flush just a system all under the hood but the rear. Does it need it? If flushing the front can't i just go through expansion valve on route to evaporator. I did this with a car but took out orifice tube, had to expansion valve.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:04 AM
ole

Chrysler/dodge Voyager 96-00
Refrigerant
Oil Capacities

Front A/C
Component ml oz
Compressor 150 ml 5.0 oz
Filter-Drier 30 ml 1.0 oz
Condenser 30 ml 1.0 oz
Evaporator 60 ml 2.0 oz
Rear Evap. N/A N/A

Refrigerant
Oil Capacities

Dual A/C
Component ml oz
Compressor 220 ml 7.4 oz
Filter-Drier 30 ml 1.0 oz
Condenser 30 ml 1.0 oz
Evaporator 60 ml 2 .0 oz
Rear Evap. 60 ml 2.0 oz

REFRIGERANT OIL LEVEL CHECK
When an air conditioning system is first assembled,
all components (except the compressor) are
refrigerant oil free. After the system has been
charged with R134a refrigerant and operated, the oil
in the compressor is dispersed through the lines and
components. The evaporator, condenser, and filterdrier
will retain a significant amount of oil, refer to
the Refrigerant Oil Capacities chart. When a component
is replaced, the specified amount of refrigerant
oil must be added. When the compressor is replaced,
the amount of oil that is retained in the rest of the
system must be drained from the replacement compressor.
When a line or component has ruptured and
oil has escaped, the compressor should be removed
and drained. The filter-drier must be replaced along
with the ruptured part. The oil capacity of the system,
minus the amount of oil still in the remaining
components, can be measured and poured into the
suction port of the compressor.
Example: On a dual system the evaporator retains
60 ml (2 oz). The condenser retains 30 ml (1 oz) of
oil, and system capacity may be 220 ml (7.40 oz) of
oil.

220 ml minus 90 ml = 130 ml (4.40 oz).

Old 07-30-2011, 10:29 AM
scotter5
Veteran

Thank you for response. Only item to replace is compressor on dual system.

Need something reconciled: In dual sys. above it was stated that compressor takes of 7.4 oz. However in last paragraph it is stated the entire capacity for entire sys. is 7.4 oz.

Therefore if entire system is flushed for dual system, there would not be any oil in system. So would sys. dual, require 13.4 oz (added up the oil for all components above) or would it be 7.4 oz.?

Finally, i want to put oil in the system through the lines and probably 2 oz in compressor because the ports on compressor would leak oil out of them if i put more then that in it, once I begin attaching the manifold to the back of the compressor, due to the horizontal position. I don't see anything wrong with putting oil through the lines, it will all get dispersed rather quickly anyway, right?

Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

scott, not to get off track but when you flush the system, it should be done by individual component. You flush each piece and each line by itself. Otherwise it is a waste of time, you'd never get hardly any debris out, you'd just move it to another component. And you are correct, don't flush the expansion valves.