Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Van feels like will shut off, but doesn't

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 01:43 PM
MrCaravan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Van feels like will shut off, but doesn't

Hello everyone new here, I just purchased a 1999 dodge caravan sport 3.3 with the extended roof. It has 95,000 miles and the van is super clean, only problem at purchase was no AC, the compressors cuts on but blows hot air and I also got engine code 1491 and just changed the fan relay today... Just my assumption to do so...

Ok my problem now, I'll fix AC later, whenever I come to a stop or red light the car shakes almost to the point you think it would shut off but doesn't, the RPM is steady and not jumping, as soon as I give car gas things are much smoother....any help on how I can narrow things down would help

Old 07-24-2011, 02:02 PM
mirageman
Professional

congrats. do you know the previous owner? do you know the service history? if you don't, I'd start with the basics since they have to be done anyway. oil change (probably not the problem but anyway), tune up for sure (wires and plugs) and check to see. maybe fuel injector cleaner like seafoam or bg44k if you can get it (works awesome). if still same, then check your egr system. go to autozone.com and register for the FREE vehicle repair guides and look up your vehicle there, you'd be amazed at the detail of testing which is very similar to the factory service manual. most important though would be knowing if the timing belt was changed. if it was, perhaps they were off a tooth in the timing, if it wasn't changed, change it. another thing to look up in the repair guide is throttle body cleaning. have fun! you'll feel great when you fix it.

Last edited by mirageman; 07-24-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:00 PM
MrCaravan

Originally Posted by mirageman
congrats. do you know the previous owner? do you know the service history? if you don't, I'd start with the basics since they have to be done anyway. oil change (probably not the problem but anyway), tune up for sure (wires and plugs) and check to see. maybe fuel injector cleaner like seafoam or bg44k if you can get it (works awesome). if still same, then check your egr system. go to autozone.com and register for the FREE vehicle repair guides and look up your vehicle there, you'd be amazed at the detail of testing which is very similar to the factory service manual. most important though would be knowing if the timing belt was changed. if it was, perhaps they were off a tooth in the timing, if it wasn't changed, change it. another thing to look up in the repair guide is throttle body cleaning. have fun! you'll feel great when you fix it.
Thanks the previous owner seemed to take care of the car well, car was sitting for a while so I guess I'll start with the basics as you mentioned oil change & tune-up, this engine has a timing chain (if that makes any difference)... The owner told me that the AC only needs a clutch for compressor but it appears to work and shut on, I will take it to get a dye test in a charge before go and purchase a new compressor

Quick Reply: Van feels like will shut off, but doesn't