Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

93 3.3 caravan no codes poor idle stalls when applying throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:23 PM
gexter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 3.3 caravan no codes poor idle stalls when applying throttle

I replaced the head gaskets on my 93 Caravan and was plagued by a number of codes because after of vacuum leaks, poor connections and a sensor I missed when I reassembled everything. I went through the forums to help trouble shoot and now all I have for codes is 12 and 55 so it seems everything is good. the trouble is it is still hard starting and stalls when I press the throttle and unless I feather the throttle I cannot get it to rev past idle.
The one thing I have not done is move the vehicle at all, I have just started and ran it in my driveway and solved the code issues as I have no insurance on it.
I would assume I have a fuel problem showing up for some unknown reason. The only component of the fuel system I touched was removing the fuel rail from the intake and injectors and left it connected to the fuel supply line. The injectors are well sealed new O rings top and bottom.

Any suggestions?

on another note what does everyone use to find vacuum leaks I am sure I still have a small leak somewhere that I can hear it but cannot find it. I do a lot of work by ear so I can hear slight whistle when I give it slight throttle off idle. It does not seem to be bad enough to show a code though and I can barely hear it.

Thanks to other posters, threads and allpar for the information to work out the other issues.

Gex

Old 07-30-2011, 12:25 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

How is the gasket between the plenum and the intake manifold? And did you have the timing chain cover off?

Old 07-30-2011, 12:07 PM
gexter

The Gaskets from the head gasket up are all new, and I did not have the timing chain cover off. Everything torqued to spec and hopefully sealed well.
I had gone through several resets of the computer without success, yesterday I unplugged all the sensors and it started up and it rev'd up and just burned rich. I plugged the sensor in the plenum in the back and then it ran better and was no longer rich. I then shut the engine off disconnected the battery and plugged each sensor back in with the same reset procedure with a little dialectic grease on the pins and now it runs really well. The exhaust has a slight popping rumbling sound that was not there before.( air in the exhaust / egr. possibly the the vacuum leak I think I hear) It always did run a little rich at idle just like my other dodges and still does. I did take it around the block a couple time and did a couple really short full throttle runs without any issues. The only Modification I did do is take the noise suppressor out from the air filter to the intake. everything is as it was before.
So as of yesterday it was running fine again without any issues and no check engine light. I will take it for a short run again today and see if any codes come up. Now I know the mechanicals are good and the computer/sensors are just being weird, and I have to figure out why so it will not happen again.
Before winter hits I have to get it back on the road and be able to trust it. I will continue to post if I have more issues or make changes as I am not confident that its "fixed"
I really appreciate the help and others that have worked through similar issues on the forum, Thanks Master Tech for the direct help, I have gone through a considerable amount of your postings previously.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:01 PM
gexter

Everything seems to working without any more codes or problems.
I have a buzzing vibration just when I come off idle, probably because I seem to have one bolt left over after reassembling everything. its typical of the bracket mounting bolts, finding the hole seems impossible. likely behind something I already mounted. My Son was the one that disassembled and partially reassembled that section and he can't remember. I'll take care of it when I do the timing chain next year
Its back on the road tomorrow and shall see how it holds up.
Still do not know why it showed all those nasty codes and all I did was unplug reset and plug it all back in to solve all the issues.

Any advice on finding Vacuum leaks?

Quick Reply: 93 3.3 caravan no codes poor idle stalls when applying throttle