Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'96 caravan tranny whines slips no limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:52 PM
ridler16
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 caravan tranny whines slips no limp mode

My bro's 96 GC crapped out on him. The symtoms are that the tranny will whine in all gears PRND3L and slips in at least 3rd. Started in 2nd passing a vehicle going uphill. Will not set MIL or go into limp mode. I forced limp mode by removing EATX fuse and 2nd seems nice and solid. Still whines with fuse out tho. Reverse seems ok too. It
just whines after a couple minutes of running and drops out of / slips in 3rd gear. Also slips in 2nd with fuse in and MIL off. I am somewhat familiar with this 41te but not familiar enough to tell what exactly the problem is. A pressure issue due to pump issue are my thoughts, however when I took return off trans it pumped plenty of fluid fast.
Van has 150K on it. He babied it 120 miles home last night and it didn't completely die yet Any and all ideas and suggestions are welcomed.

THX
Ridler

Last edited by ridler16; 08-03-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 08-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Certainly no expert but I have read anytime you experience slipping it's a good idea to read the Clutch Volume Index (CVI) numbers with a capable scanner. Thsi will reveal at a glance how the clutch packs are performing. Bad numbers lead to a rebuild.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:50 PM
ridler16
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure I could have him pay for it to be read by DRB but if his clutch pack just fried I would be able to see the fiber stuck in the filter/pan and save a few bucks right? I think he put the wrong juice in it. Maxlife for high mileage. Says on the jug "compatable with GM Ford and import vehicles. No Mopar. That sure as hell aint 7176. It was also a bit overfull when I checked it. I think he killed it by not following directions....thoughts? I can rebuild a 46RH, is this one any tougher?

Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh boy. Ya, if you want to trash a tranny use the wrong fluid, especially on the 41te. I've read it is among the easiest to rebuild as trannys go. I've never been past the filter though.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

If you can rebuild a 46RE, You can do the same with the 41TE. But it is tougher if you have never done one. Thats because there are no bands to adjust. But there is a lot of snap ring to hold the clutch pack together. And you will need some special tools and a press. When its time for you to do the repairs, let me know. I have been rebuilding the 41TE since 1989.

Quick Reply: '96 caravan tranny whines slips no limp mode