Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Grand Caravan stalls

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 AM
SDOrangeBlast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Grand Caravan stalls

02 GC 156K miles, start van (go inside to retrive coffee) come back out to proceed to work. Put in gear to back out of driveway van dies, restarts and continue backing. Make it into street put in drive van stalls again, this happens a couple times. Pull back into driveway. Wife also states that it would die when pressing gas pedal while in park. (erratic idle as well)

My wife wakes me up to take a look, start van (semi-erratic idle at first then seems fine) look, listen for any other abnormalities nothing found. Take van around block a couple times with no issues. Wife drives to work no issues.

This is the second time, happened last week one morning and then fine until it did this again today????

Old 08-09-2011, 10:11 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Welcome to DF
By any chance is the check engine light on? I'm guessing you mat have a misfire. One of the common problems have been the wiring melting on the injector harness.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 AM
SDOrangeBlast

No check engine light, scan came up clean as well. No codes. Again ran fine the rest of the day yesterday and no issues this morning.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:18 AM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This probably has nothing to do with your problem but I had similar sympton years ago (Plymouth Baracuda) with a bad tank of gas. After I refilled - the problem went away.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:50 AM
uncmarc

I bought this 2003 Grand Caravan EL in April 2012 with 140K on it. It was a former rental + 2 owners.
About a month later it stalled pulling out of my garage. It did this twice in 3 weeks. Both time the fuel gauge was at 1/4 full. I figured that because my driveway is on a steep incline, maybe the float on the sending unit was bad. So we resolved to never let the gas get down below 1/3.
It ran fine and got us through our summer trips without incident . Then a few weeks ago it began to stall while driving at uneven intervals and conditions. My observations where : it stalled when I braked hard, if on a rough road, moving slowly on an incline and when I let the hood drop closed. Ready?... Two wires under the engine were shorting out on the chassis... The positive battery cable leads down past the ECM and down under the engine where it marries up to the main harness. The harness had chaffed on a support strut until two wires had worn through, thus causing this maddening stall out thing . I have read a dozen blogs and forums, all sighting the same problems and causes and fixes,, crank sensors, fuel pumps & modules. And the problems still go on. please look into this before you spend your hard earned cash needlessly. I hope I have helped someone here. Marc.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:07 PM
rdrobertson15@yahoo.com
Default uncmark...did control panel die off also?

I've been having stall problems also with a '97 grand caravan. sometimes on turns or after backing out of drive or at stop sign. also happens from time to time while just driving straight but it won't completely stall, the control panel will die for a second, the engine will hesitate and then continue on.

somedays it runs without incident. repair shop replaced speed sensors and when panel went out they said take to the dealer.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:30 PM
uncmarc

to :rdrobertson15@yahoo.com
ya it sounds very much the same. Before you let anyone sell you more parts do the search for a frayed wire. good luck to you ,, Marc

Quick Reply: 2002 Grand Caravan stalls