Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2003 caravan not starting.! Why?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 PM
minivanjo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 caravan not starting.! Why?

So my girlfriends mom has this minivan (2003 dodge caravan FWD 3.3L) Last week the van died out on us on the freeway. Easy fix changed the alternator (it was busted on the inside pulley moved, inside didn't.)and it ran fine for a day. Then the next day the cluster started doing funny things like bouncing around. figured it was the battery (tested it and it did not wanna take a load or a charge) so i changed it and the van ran fine. Than my girlfriend mom went out to eat yesterday and when she came out the van wouldn't start. Of course she was pissed at me thinking i broke her van. I offered to fix it for free thinking it would be a loose cable i forgot to tighten. Well it wasn't. The cables were tight and everything seemed to work. I jumped the started and to my surprise it cranked over easily but failed to start the motor. there is constant power at the starter, but no power coming from the ignition when you turn the key. i had the relays tested and the are good. i was told it could be one of three things, ignition switch, nutural safety switch, or pcm. could someone tell me if they had this problem, what was it, and how do i fix it?

Old 08-09-2011, 10:40 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
First do you have spark at the plugs? and also start tracing back on what you did when replacing the alternator.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:15 PM
KYanaNewport
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator repair start of problems

My wife has 3.3L GC SE.

We had the alternator replaced due to hearing its death pangs. Next day, she took it out for a short drive and the dashboard "lit up like a xmas tree."
Next day, she was able to drive it to a doctor's appt, but it nearly lost all power on the way home and all the warning lights began to come on one by one. It would not restart after we got it back.

Took it back to the mech. who discovered it was a defective alternator and replaced with a different part from a different supplier.

The same problems have been recurring since then, but neither our mech or our dealership have been able to replicate the problem besides me.

None of this happened until after our alternator was replaced. Now, sometimes on startup, it over revs, then under revs like its about to die, and revs up and down until it evens out. When this happens, feels like the tranny slips when shifting or at stop/go.

Sidenote: we also had the serp belt replaced and had the spark plugs/wires replaced about a month prior.

Today, mech is replacing our 2nd replacement with an oem alternator. Hoping the PCM nor any other electrical components are fried.

Quick Reply: 2003 caravan not starting.! Why?