Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport engine knock

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:10 PM
cougarman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport engine knock

I currently own a 1998 Grand Caravan Sport with about 152,500 miles. I bought it at 151,000 for $300. I mainly use it for work and only a few times a month. So far it has been great except for the knock it developed. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and was wondering if it was worth it and how difficult it is to replace the engine. Since I can order a used one on ebay for around $500. Once I bought it I had to replace the Body Control Module. So instead of paying the dealer $1000 I bought one from a junkyard and replaced it myself. So all in all would it be wise/feasible to replace the engine myself. Or should I try to sell it and purchase something else. Also are there any write ups on completing this task?

Thanks

Old 08-13-2011, 07:20 AM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently you feel the "knock" justifies replacing the engine. Can you tell me more about the knock? Are you talking about a rod?

Old 08-13-2011, 10:03 AM
cougarman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have had some friends listen to it. Who are more mechanically inclined than I am. They say that the engine is on its last leg. I am not 100% sure of what the knock is. It is just a constant knocking that comes from the engine. I also had it into the dealer for some recall work...bad clock spring. And they did a free inspection. Which included oil leaks from pretty much every gasket in the engine bay. Like I said I dont use this often but when I do I drive it around 100 miles a day. I just dont want the engine blowing up when im that far away. That would be an expensive tow.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport engine knock