Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

ac Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:44 AM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac Clutch

anyone know how to test it? i think mine either binds or slips. on startup i think thats whats making the noise i have been experiencing. loud clunk/squeel sound. i figuire its going but i know if i take it in either a few things going to happen either they say caint find anything or they replace it but i end up having ac issues in future. ac has lost a bit of it cold too. not as cold as it used too but still cools after short drive out.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:26 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if u are under waranty, and noise is easily duplicated, just take it in. hard to diagnose noise over the internet unless u can provide a Video clip.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:52 PM
DodgeCaravan2010SXT
All Star

its not that easy to duplicate. its happens on occations. comes and goes on starts. not always there to happen.

Originally Posted by steak59
if u are under waranty, and noise is easily duplicated, just take it in. hard to diagnose noise over the internet unless u can provide a Video clip.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:30 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

make a video clip and take it with u to the dealership.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:36 PM
jeremywatson

Have you checked your tensioner and idler pulleys? A little slack in those bearings can cause all kinds of squeals and noises that come and go. Even if the noise only happens when the a/c comes on it could still be them. When the a/c clutch engages, it puts more stress on the whole belt path. They are easy to check and cheap to replace IF you can get the belt off. Once the belt is off, just check to see if there is any play in them. And while you have the belt off, you can try spinning your a/c clutch by hand. Certainly not a sure fire test, but it will give you some info like if the clutch spins smoothly or is binding or grinding. It's a start. Have fun with that belt though.

Quick Reply: ac Clutch