Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'99 Grand Air Bag

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:51 PM
tobytigger
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Grand Air Bag

My '99 Grand with 155k is running fine except for the airbag light which just lit up. Check the fuses, replaced the fuse box with no change. Had the codes scanned and result was no codes detected. And in another example of great American engineering, the horn and cruise control no longer work. Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot and or fix?

Old 08-14-2011, 12:33 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Did you check the air bag module for codes or the PCM? There is a recall which is a lifetime recall for the clockspring. I would have the dealer replace the clockspring under the recall.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:40 AM
tobytigger
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
Did you check the air bag module for codes or the PCM? There is a recall which is a lifetime recall for the clockspring. I would have the dealer replace the clockspring under the recall.
The codes were checked for free at Autozone - for what that is worth. After doing some reading in the forum, I'd guess the Autozone reader can not read the air bag or PCM modules? How are those modules checked? I will be taking the van to Dodge on Monday and hope that the clockspring is replaced for free under the lifetime warranty.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:02 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

The parts stores like autozone can only read stored codes in the PCM. I don't think they can read the CAN bus or IHS can bus system yet.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, classic clockspring symptoms. All three circuits run through it, the only thing they have in common. Won't cost you a penny to fix unless your van wandered into the twilight zone and has multiple coincidental problems.

Body and data bus codes require a DRBIII scanner or equivalent available at dealerships and some up to date shops. Just about anyone with a $20 Chinese scanner can read emissions codes stored in the PCM.

Last edited by Cougar41; 08-14-2011 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: '99 Grand Air Bag