Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Lost communication with Body control V0140

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 AM
mr_mahoney
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost communication with Body control V0140

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

Dash lights go out and engine light comes on. Autozone diagnostic check shows the following codes:

Lost communication with Body control V0140
Lost Communication with Fuel level V110C
Lost Communication with instrument pannel V0155

Any idea where to start? I cleaned the ground cable connection from the engine to the motor mount (pass side)

Where are the other ground locations?

Where is the Body Control module located?

I appreciate any and all help.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where did you get the codes from? The BCM is under the dash up behind the ebrake pedal area. Big cream colored module. If those are the only codes, could be a BCM or cluster issue. Tough to check unless it's acting up and you have access to a scan tool.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

start off by checking the Fuse.
But stuff like this, it is very hard to DIY unless u r very good with eletrical diagnostic or have right equipment. are you familiar with testing wires with Multimeters, reading wiring diagrams, and comfortable taking computers and trim panels out? if you are, there are series of test this and that u can do.

I would not suggest u replacing any parts without knowing what's wrong, because i believe the BCM is like $450, and the Cluster is like $300. and eletrical parts are none refunded.
I've seen faulty BCM and Cluster causing stuff like this, and even broken wires around the BCM area.
Also, I believe there are a lot more codes in the computer than Autozone can pull up. u'll need more advanced scanner.

I suggest u to pay the diagnostic fee at a dealership to tell u what's wrong instead.

Last edited by steak59; 08-17-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM
mr_mahoney
Amateur
Default body control modul location

This image was from a 2000 DGC article.

Last edited by mr_mahoney; 08-17-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 AM
mr_mahoney
Amateur
Default body control module issues

I only found one fuse bank (in the engine bay) and removed all fuses and cleaned the contacts with a small metal file.

What diagnostic tests can be performed? I have basic knowledge of circuits. (10 years IT work)

Old 08-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't get at my usual sources right now being on the other side of the country so this is the best I can come up with. This article is a reasonable primer on PCI data bus function and it touches on troubleshooting. You have a PCI data bus so disregard any CCD bus info. Search the net for Chrysler/Dodge PCI data bus info I'm sure there's more out there.

http://motorage.search-autoparts.com...68789&pageID=1

Quick Reply: Lost communication with Body control V0140