Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2005 Grand Caravan speedometer doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Butterfly Bill
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Grand Caravan speedometer doesn't work

I just bought a 2005 Grand Caravan. The speedometer needle does not move. Nor does the odometer. (But the tachometer needle does.)

The MIL light was on, and I bought the first OBD scanner I have ever owned, and I plugged it in --and quite logically, I thought, it gave me PO501:Vehicle Speed Sensor malfunction.

Then I discovered that there are two of them. Since the tach worked, I reasoned that it was the "output"sensor, and replaced it. But that didn't alter the speedometer behavior. So I replaced the other one, but that didn't change the speedo either. Then I erased the malfunction codes with the scanner. After two sets of starts, drives of about a mile and a half, and stops, the MIL hasn't come on, and the scanner says "0": no malfunctions. But the speedometer still didn't work.

Two other things I have read about on this forum that haven't worked are:

Pushing the trip odometer button down for long enough to watch that calibration sequence. The needle on the speedometer moves and so do the numbers on the odometer. But that doesn't make it move when I start driving.

Removing the minus wire from the battery and leaving it off overnight (and doing the trip button push routine again).

What else can I do?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:29 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
You would need a scanner to look at the input and output sensors when driving. This way you can see if the sensors are reading any RPM signals from the sensors. If you have zero reading coming from the output sensor, start checking the two wires going in the connector for the output sensor.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cluster test you did proved the instrument cluster is good. Both sensors are new. Only thing left is wiring and on your van, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Last edited by Cougar41; 08-21-2011 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 Grand Caravan speedometer doesn't work