Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

What grand caravan would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 09:29 AM
wicelt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What grand caravan would you buy?

Hi there,
I am totally new to the whole minivan scene and Dodge as well. I am trying to acquire a van for our family and not sure what way to go. I have looked at a few of SXT models and here's the dilemma:
Candidate #1 is a 2005 SXT with all the options 3.8 motor at 80K miles, but don't really like the dealer guy as well as it has AC issue that the dealer promises to repair before I buy. It's at about $8600.

Candidate #2 is 2007 SXT with no options 3.8 motor at 40K miles but has a rebuilt title and it's from a private party. He claims that the damage was to right rear quarter without suspension damage or airbag deployment Price is about $8400.

Candidate #3 is 2007 SXT with all the options 3.8 motor at 91K miles. All looks great except it's not local so I haven't seen it, but the carfax looks OK one owner etc. Price is about $8700.

My dilemma is that I can't decide if I want lower mileage and older or higher mileage and newer. Also can you chime in about 3.3 vs 3.8 motor. Is there a big difference in reliability etc.
Thank you in advance.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Marcus71
Amateur

The 3.8L motor is actually derived from the 3.3L motor, the main difference is the 3.8L has a bigger displacement so you get a little more power, but consume more fuel. Both are very reliable and been around since early to mid 90's so it's a proven engine.

Candidate #1, if you don't like the dealer guy, I'd go with your gut and probably stay away from him since i get the impression you don't feel comfortable with him. I'd also stay away from it because A/C problems are expensive and GC's have a been known to have bad a/c and this one could be a sign of other problems

Candidate # 2: A rebuilt title means it's been in a serious accident and had probably suffered structural damage, something i wouldn't knowingly put my kids in. i'd stay away since you don't know if it was properly fixed or who fixed it.

Candidate # 3 - If you haven't seen it, I wouldn't commit until I test drove it. btw carfax only lists accidents that has been reported to them. if the car was in an accident but never reported to police/insurance and fixed privately, it won't show up on the report (not to devalue carfax or anything because it is a good tool but like everything else it has limitations).

Always have an independent mechanic inspect it before you commit to buying any vehicle to bring to light any other potential problems.

Last edited by Marcus71; 08-22-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:20 PM
ez1913
Professional

Welcome to the wonderful world of MOPAR!

My '97 GC 3.3L just turned 205,000 miles and still runs like a top.
Don't let high mileage scare you off too much. The 3.3 and 3.8 are a hardy engine.
All vans will have their issues, but you're really looking for the one that has been treated the best sense it's birth.
Documented maintenance, garage kept, little wear on the pedals, are good signs the owner cared for the van.

I agree, number 3 is worth a look. The others I'd shy away from.
You can also keep looking, new listings everyday.

Good Luck,
EZ1

Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM
wicelt

Thanks guys for the input. Candidate's #1 AC problem was that the fan would stop blowing after like 5 minutes of work, but then if you turn system off/on it would work for another 5. I suspect either fan control module or final stage resistor, but he's supposedly fixing it today. The reason I didn't like the dealer was that he claimed he got the van as a trade-in from an older couple (don't they all), but the van has no manuals and only one key and that just smells like a car auction deal. Oh also the auto close on the pass side door keeps binding and returning the door to open (could be a sign of damage, but the van tracks straight as an arrow on the highway).
Anyway, the #3 one is the one I like visually (has all the manuals, mats,2 keys and even the headphones) but it's 4 hours away. Keep your thoughts coming and thanks once again.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:34 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

option 1 is same price as 3 and 2 yrs older, why would you?
option 2 has salvage title? stay away from those vehicle.
I go with option 3.
Drivetrain wise, these minivan are solid. even at higher mileage, you probably will only spend money on brakes, tires, tune up and other maintainence, and possible a little bit of oil leak. which every car goes thru.

But of course, Drive it first!!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Marcus71
Amateur

Originally Posted by wicelt
The reason I didn't like the dealer was that he claimed he got the van as a trade-in from an older couple (don't they all), but the van has no manuals and only one key and that just smells like a car auction deal. Oh also the auto close on the pass side door keeps binding and returning the door to open (could be a sign of damage, but the van tracks straight as an arrow on the highway).
Smells fishy to me too, the autoclose itself could be faulty or there could have been damage to pass side from an accident. Easy way to check is to look if the panels line up properly and if the spacing between panels on both the driverside and pass side are the same. Suprised there's no key or manuals. I'm guessing this isn't a chrysler dealer since they normally sell cars in better condition. I'd stay away from it.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:52 PM
tapd117

Keep looking I just purchased a 2003 Dodge Sport Entervan with all the options with 15K miles for $18,000. I had issues with the brakes, replaced them and tires and it runs like a brand new van is very smooth. Carfax was clear but I went ahead and had a buddy run the warranty history and verified the miles. It is a handicap conversion and I had always looked down on these Dodge Vans but I think it rides better than my Pathfinder.

I would keep looking,,,,,,,,, GG

Last edited by tapd117; 08-22-2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: What grand caravan would you buy?