Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 PM
jahenbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange problem

Hey calling all Caravan Guru's,
I have a strange problem with my 2003 Caravan. Yesterday as my wife and I were driving in town our van was driving fine when all of a sudden it jerked two or three times and when we stopped at the red light it died. My wife was driving and I told her to try and crank it. Well it cranked and the light changed. We started on down the road and it started jerking again next red light had to stop and it died again. This time it wouldn't crank back. We had a trip to make so we borrowed a friends truck and left it parked at a store. We went this evening to check a couple of things. Just for giggles I told her to try and crank it. Guess what? It cranked! At first I thought it had quit firing, then decided possibly the fuel pump had gone out. I checked the relay which seems to be working fine and the fuse isn't blown. Does anyone possibly have any ideas that might help me? The check engine light is also on.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Marcus71
Amateur

I'm not sure if you can do it on the 03s but in the 5 gen models (08 and up) you can check for codes using the "key dance" by turning it from "off" to "on" without going to the start position 3 times in a row (in less than 5 seconds) then the engine light should flash and the number of flashes represents the code. Once you have the code you can look up the code on one of the sticky threads then post it here. That should get you started and one of the mechanics here should be able to give you some tips.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Marcus is right, on some models you can cycle the key 3 times. But this will not work on all years. First I was going to guess a transmission torque is in lock up all the time, but the no crank leads me to a SKEEM module locked you out. Once you get the codes from the van, post them and we all can help.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, not so strange. Stalling is one of the common subjects on this and other forums. Unfortunately, the causes are many and varied. Any codes you can give us will help narrow that list down. In the mean time, have someone listen at the back of the van while you turn the key to on. The fuel pump will hum for 1-2 seconds then shut off. You will at least know the pump will turn on.

If the key dance doesn't work try to get to an AutoZone. They will connect a scanner and read your codes for free. You can by a "code reader" at many parts stores for $30-$50.

Last edited by Cougar41; 08-22-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM
jahenbo

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the feedback. I was able to get the van to an autoparts store and get the codes read. The only code that came up was Cam shaft positioning sensor. SO I need some info on first off without tearing it all apart myself to find it where to look for it. I have an idea but I figure someone out there already knows and can lead me. Next I need an idea how labor intensive it is to change. I'm a pretty fair shade tree but VERY limited on time. Any info would be great
Thanks again
Jahenbo

Old 08-27-2011, 02:08 PM
jahenbo
Default Eureka!!!

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to thanks those that gave me information on my problem. I know you guys can't stay online all the time so I got off my rear and did a little research on my own and was able to change out the sensor and now have my wife's van back on the road! Thanks again
And Now
TTYL jahenbo

Old 08-27-2011, 04:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Good job!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:32 PM
dushash
Amateur

I'm from Russia and the Russian cars like LADA family have so many problems. But one of them is CAM shift position sensor - a good driver always have a couple of sensors in the glove-box, ready to be changed anytime. It's almost like an oil change. So I guess GC owners are lucky that this kind of problems happen not so often.

Quick Reply: Strange problem