Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Replaced Front Stabilizer Links and it still clunks . . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 PM
JoeVR5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Front Stabilizer Links and it still clunks . . .

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan with the 4cyl.

I was dealing with a clunking sound in the front end, so I searched the forums and determined that it would be the front stabilizer links . . . so they were replaced, but the van still clunks.

A shop told me that I had some noise in the upper strut mounts. Is this something that I can replace easily? It looks like I'll need a spring compressor, so if I were to get one, would it be a fairly straightforward repair?

The bushings look okay, but is there any way to test them?

I just don't want to go to the trouble to make a big repair with the upper strut mounts if this isn't the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Old 09-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bushings and links are the most common cause of front end clunk. Bushings are very cheap and fairly easy to do. a nice test is drive the van and kinda swearve back and forth to induce some body roll. If it makes the clunk noise, the bushings are bad.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:30 PM
jumpdrive2
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace the front stabilizer/sway bar bushings first, that is the thick bar that the front stabilizer links attached to. It has two bushings attached midway under the van. Easy to replace.

Quick Reply: Replaced Front Stabilizer Links and it still clunks . . .