Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Won't rev past 3000 rpm???

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Hate em but keep buying em
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't rev past 3000 rpm???

Unemployed, broke, engine blew in 2005 caravan 3.3L, put in "new"used one.[never did it before - didn't want to - had no $ so no choice] Started right up (yay!) But something is wrong. Code reader shows PO108 (replaced MAP sensor-didn't help), PO206, PO306 (injector not clicking when listen)
For some reason it won't go past 3000 rpm. Gets to 2900 and coughs, sputters, lags and then once it shifts and the rpm drops it runs fine. Same thing with each shift. Also does it in park and neutral. I'm in trouble here. Any help is really really appreciated.
By the way, I replaced the fuel pump assy about 6 months ago because it cracked on top and was leaking gas way too close to the exhaust. So I assume its not the fuel pump or filter or pressure regulator. Also, the air filter is not new but is very clean. Also, I cleaned the throttle body thoroughly and replaced the plugs before installing the "new" engine. Anybody seen this kind of thing? It's making me crazy.

Last edited by Hate em but keep buying em; 09-06-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: added info
Old 09-05-2011, 06:19 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Inspect the wire harness on the back side of the power steering reservoir. That harness tends to melt wires causing the same codes you are getting. You may need to peel the tape back to found the melted wires.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got a feeling ur exhaust might be plug up. maybe needs new Cat converter.
It is pretty hard to do it on the ground, Maybe unbolt the Cat and run without an exhaust pipe, see if it frees up ur RPM in neutral.

edit: but ur CEL is probably something else eletrical

Last edited by steak59; 09-05-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in park and neutral, at leas on my 06, there is a rev limiter that kicks in around 2700rpm and won't let it rev any higher it will hit 2700then drop to 2500 then back up and down

but doing it when driving, I don't know

Old 09-05-2011, 08:50 PM

Hey, thanks guys. I will try all of those things immediately. Let you know what works.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Thumbs up It's Fixed!!

I replaced the bad injector and while it was off I cleaned the egr tube, intake manifold upper and lower and tested the fuel pressure [by letting it squirt into grass beside the driveway]. For some reason ??? when I put it back and started up it ran beautiful right on up the rpm range! I have no idea why one injector could have caused the other problem but i don't care. IT'S FIXED! HALLELUYAH!

Quick Reply: Won't rev past 3000 rpm???