Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Grand Caravan Interior Lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Ole Goat
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 Grand Caravan Interior Lights

Just happened last night the interior lights quit working. I have a fob for keyless entry, and also when you apply the unlock tab the interior lights usually come on. Now they won't even work with the roller on the dash to turn them on.

If you push the overhead lamps they will turn on but thats it.

I tried checking the fuse box but didn't see any thiny marked interior or courtesy lamps.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gather they won't come on when you open a door either? Try pulling the IOD fuse in the fuse box (PDC) next to the battery for 2-3 minutes. This powers the body control module (BCM). This pricey little box controls interior lighting. Other than that you may have a bad panel switch.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Ole Goat
Professional
Question Interior Lights

Cougar, your right they don't come on when door is open. This fuse your refering to is it i a box beside the battery?

I'm really not into this sort of modern computerized nonsense so thought I had better make sure. Sure wish they still had the old stuff around.

Anyway thanks for the reply and I will give it a try. You mentioned this panel switch is a pricey little gadget, where is it located, and whats the price?

Old 09-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the IOD fuse is in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) next to the battery. That's a glorified name for the underhood fuse box. If it's like other 3rd generation vans it's the fuse closest to the windshield. Might have a plastic holder around it.

Even though I was thoroughly emersed in this "modern computerised nonsense" working aircraft avionics in the Air Force for 26 years, I know exactly how you feel. There are many things car companies could do to make life easier for us DIYers. Course that would probably trash their bottom line. Then again, could their bottom lines get any worse then they've been in the last few years? That they brought on themselves. Well...that's a subject for another thread.

The "pricey little gadget" was the BCM. A dealer will charge you in the neighborhood of $300 plus labor to install and test it. They are much cheaper on the internet or at a salvage yard. Little fuzzy but I think it's mounted to the firewall above and forward of the brake pedal on a 2000.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Ole Goat
Professional
Question Interior Lights 2000 Grand Caravan

Cougar41

Well I tried what you told me to do, removed the I.O.D for 2-3 min., replaced it and still no interior lights.

It ws easy to find just as you explained it to me. I took my test light and grounded it to the battery, then put the probe on each small metal piece that protrudes from the fuses, and they lit up, so the fuses are good.
Also checked the 2 terminals that are connected to the box and both were live. I hope they are supposed to be.

This expensive part you were refering to is it the box that contains the fuses?

Also what about the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side, should that be chacked as well? I didn't see anything on these under dash that refered to interior lights.

If you think of anything else let me know and I will check it. Sure do appreciate all your input thus far.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Time for a little dome lamp 101. There is a fuse for the dome lamps in the PDC (fuse box by the battery). It feeds power to a relay in the junction block (fuse box down by the brake pedal) that supplies power to the dome lamps. There is also a straight battery feed that comes off the same fuse for the switched portion of the reading lamps. Fuse must be good because the reading lamps work. The power goes through the lamps and is grounded by the BCM (Body Control Module, located on the back side of the fuse box down by the brake pedal). When the BCM see's the correct input....ie door ajar switch, request from the RKE, headlamp switch input, it grounds the circuit and turns the lamps on. First make sure you have power at the lamps to confirm the relay is working.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 PM
Ole Goat
Professional
Question 2000 Grand Caravan Interior Lights

Tizzy1

Appreciate the reply, but I am going to be upfront with you even if it makes me look like a complete idiot.

Fact is i haven't a clue as to what your refering to, I am not into all this circuit stuff. Is there a more simple way to explain just what it is your refering to.

Again I sure do appreciate your taking the time to advise me as to where the problem may be, again I am not savy on this stuff.

I have worked on the older cars you know the simple ones with carb, and no computers, building engines etc. but circuits no way.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you were to access one of the dome lamp bulbs that isn't switched (like the front reading lamps), there should be power to the bulb. The computor grounds it to make it light up. You want to check and see if there is power at the dome lamp bulb so we know if it's a power supply issue or maybe a computor issue.

DOME LAMP BULB

REMOVAL
  1. Insert a small, flat bladed pry tool between dome lamp lens and dome lamp body on left side of dome lamp.
  2. Disengage left side of dome lamp lens from lamp body (Dome Lamp Bulb )
  3. Pull bulb from lamp socket
INSTALLATION
  1. Push bulb into lamp socket.
  2. Pivot dome lamp lens upward. Verify that lamp lens hook is above the headlining.
  3. Engage left side of dome lamp lens to lamp body.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Ole Goat
Professional
Default 2000 Caravan interior lights

Tizzy1

I went up to my local garage on Friday and talked with my Mechanic about this issue. He told me that he replaces or repairs if possible these fuse boxes under hood next to battery area, apparently quite a common problem.

He had one used one there that he had taken out of a Caravan with a similar problem. He pulled it apart and showed me what the problem is with these boxes.

Apparently over the years they get damp and corrosion sets in and the small pins no longer make contact. Those that he can repair he will, then sprays them with a moisture resetant solvent. Now I know a little better what it is you were refering to.

As I mentioned before its a little more than I want to tackle as I'm not into this computerized B/S. So I will just leave it up to him to look at.

Again thank you for your input as i sure do appreciate it, Also thanks to Cougar for his reply. You guys are sure a great help, and I just wanted to say thanks.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Ole Goat
Professional
Question 2000 Grand Caravan Interion Lights

Tizy1

Back to you on this remaining issue still unsolved. As I mentioned above went up to my local Mechanic who checked out the BCM, and all is well with this box.

So he seems to think that it may be a broken wire or coroded one some where in the line of wire connections.

Could by chance it be possible that these interion lamps work some what like christmas tree lights, as when one goes bad the others will not work? Just a thought as it might spark an unknown problem.

As mentioned the push on reading or map lights work fine, as do the dash lamps along with radio etc. This issue just all of a sudden when I last used the hatch is when the problem arose. Other than that I have no other info to offer, sure hope that you can come up with a solution that could solve this. I know you have given me some insight already, but just maybe there might be another solution, thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 2000 Grand Caravan Interior Lights