Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2002 Caravan eC - Running very rough, trouble starting -- please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard starting can be caused by a fuel leak bleeding fuel pressure as the van sits over night. The leak can be external meaning at a fuel line or connection or internal meaning the fuel pump/pressure regulator in the tank or fuel injectors in the engine. You have the typical symptoms, starting after two or three key cycles. For a temporary fix you can cycle the key to on/run a couple times. The pump turns on for one second then shuts off when you turn the key to on/run. This primes the pressure back up for a normal start. If it's not a fuel leak first on my list would be old worn spark plugs.

Missing, rough running could be any number of things. Spark plugs, plug wires, coil, PCM, fuel injector, contaminated fuel, poor compression (rings, scored cylinder), vacuum leak, and on and on. I would start by changing the most basic components to the problem, the spark plugs then the plug wires. They are a scheduled change item anyway. If there's no improvement now get the test equipment out. A meter, compression tester, and a test light or noid light. Just because you're not getting a missfire code doesn't mean you're not getting a misfire. The OBDII fault detect system isn't perfect.

Charge the battery then it's dead soon after. You may have a parasitic drain meaning something is drawing power when it shouldn't. Connect an ammeter in series with the disconnected negative battery cable and the battery post. Shouldn't see more than around 30 milliampres. If it's much more pull fuses till the draw drops to 30. The fuse that causes the drop is the suspect circuit. Then you disconnect components in that circuit till it again drops to 30. That component is the culprit.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0304
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-18-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:10 PM
punuakhe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cougar41:

Can I bring the van to you since you live in CA? I do not have the tools to perform the test and I will pay you for the fixing.

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by punuakhe
Cougar41:

Can I bring the van to you since you live in CA? I do not have the tools to perform the test and I will pay you for the fixing.

Thanks.
Sorry but I am way too busy. Putting a new roof on, landscaping and prepping for yet another family wedding and running in and out of town for that. Last daughter is finally getting married. Will still be happy to answer any questions.

FYI - Autozone and others will lend out test equipment.

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-18-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:40 AM
punuakhe

Thanks Cougar41. Will the compression test only reveal if there is a misfire, and if there is one, will I be able to resolve it?

Thanks.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by punuakhe
Thanks Cougar41. Will the compression test only reveal if there is a misfire, and if there is one, will I be able to resolve it?

Thanks.
It will tell you if one or more cylinders have low compression which can cause a misfire. Low compression just means the pressure produced in the cylinder as the piston rises is leaking through scored cylinder walls, damaged rings, burned valves or damaged valve seats etc. Only way to determine that is to remove the heads and investigate. At that point you have to ask yourself how many more bucks do I want to put into my 10 year old van. It can be an expensive fix meaning $1000+. Could be less. First step is the compression check. It may come out just fine. All that said, I would first confirm a no spark or no fuel condition. They are the most likely problems.

Are your symptoms identical to HayaBuddha's? What model year van do you have? What size engine?

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-19-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:06 PM
punuakhe

Thanks Cougar41. Yes the rough idling symptons especially with the AC on and when stopped at traffic light as described by Hayabuddha are very similar excepting that I do not have a starting issue. It is a 2002 Dodge caravan eC 4 cylinder. Thanks for all your help!

Quick Reply: 2002 Caravan eC - Running very rough, trouble starting -- please help!