Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

uneven tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 03:27 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default uneven tire wear

the van does not pull at all, runs stright, 2 weeks ago I noticed a slight vibration coming from the rear,

I took it in and had the wheels balanced an alignment done,

wheels were Not out of balance, and it did Not need an alignment(the drivers rear toe was slightly out of spec, but non-adjustable, it was 0.12 and spec is -0.10 to 0.10 I think there is a shim or something I can get to shim it)

and all 4 tires are wearing on the outer edge, the shop thought maybe susspention was sagging causing the wear

does it sound right? and what would the test for the front/back end shocks? push on it and count the bounces

any other idea's to check, it just passed inspection 2 weeks ago,no noise or difficaulty steering when driving

thanks for any help

Old 09-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Inside edge wear too? Did you get a copy of the alignment, would like to see where everything was. What is your tire pressure at?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

Here's a nice little chart. By the by, if the suspension was sagging causing the wear, it would show up on the alignment.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tizzy1
Inside edge wear too? Did you get a copy of the alignment, would like to see where everything was. What is your tire pressure at?

tire pressure is 36psi first thing in the morning, that was my first thought,
visually I thought it appeared to have wear on both outer shoulders, but the shop put the tred depths for inner and outer and the outers were 1/32 less tred

maybe I will fill the tires up to 38-39psi cold and see if it fix's it first

here is the sheet
Name:  DGCalignment.jpg
Views: 4535
Size:  43.0 KB

Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 PM
trophyslayer
Veteran

and I would say it looks to me like close to pic 1,

also at the shop the psi readings were 40psi, I guess since they warmed up

Old 09-15-2011, 11:11 PM
RickMN
Veteran

The bounce test is an invalid test for struts. The bounces mean nothing. Here's the general rule on struts---80,000 and they're toast.

As for the tire wear---if the shop suspected sagging springs they should have measured the ride height. It really is that simple.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:03 AM
22mopar22
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

toe is dead on, camber is off, you have posititive camber is causing outside wear on the left rear.

if all your tires are showing excessive wear on the outside edge, given the alignment angles, says to me you are turning A LOT and higher speed... ie live in a city turning a lot and makeing turns a bit fast. jacking air pressure does nothing for wear on the outside edge, you'll have a rougher ride and you'll have more wear on the center of the tire.

rear suspension is a fixed solid axle beam, even if the rear springs were saggy, that would have no affect on camber or toe.

I'd recommend you change how you drive or have the alignment tweaked to the neg camber spec limit. IE if camber allows -.5° you do that and it will compensate for hard cornering.

also 1/32 wear more on the outside is nothing to be worried about.. 3 or 4/32 is a serious problem. you might just be overworried about nothing

now ot adress the vibration, was the tires checked for balance using a Road Force balancer? is there any choppiness on the tires? scalping? any chance there's a tire starting to belt shift?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 AM
trophyslayer
Veteran

the vibration was felt like it was comming from the drivers rear, the one out of spec, and it also has the most wear down to 5/32 on the outer edge, rest of the tires or 6/32, I am not sure what machine they used to balance it, but the vibration has diminished, I agree it is not much wear but I was just seeing if there is anything else I can do to adjust it if needed,

I don't drive much over 55, but I do a fair amount of city driving and turning,

and just to clarify getting the camber adjusted,
LF already at the max neg -0.3
Rf positive 0.1 (have it tweeked to the neg side)
LR almost max neg -0.2
RR positive 0.1 (have it tweeked to the neg side)

should I look for any thing witht the LR Toe? just out of spec, do they make any spacers or such for it, thanks

also I did measure the hight from the center of my wheels to the bottom of the fender
LF 17 3/8
LR 17 1/4
RF 17 5/8
RR 17 5/8
of course have no comparisons

Thanks for all your help

Old 09-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Tizzy1
Champion

First, yes there is a shim for the rear adjustment and you might want to have that taken care of. I'm not sure I would worry about 1/32 difference in wear. Seems kinda common place with the minivans to have that little bit of outer wear

Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 PM
22mopar22
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

again to clarify, there is nothing wrong with the toe angles on your van front or rear you have slightly too much postive camber on the LR. which will cause SLIGHT wear on the outside edge of that tire. (SLIGHT).

vibrations are not caused by alignment angles that are slightly off. your vehicle alignment angles are NOT causing you vibration concerns.

did you have the tires balanced using road force balancer (I'm asking AGAIN)

have you ever tried rotating the tires to see if the vibration moves?

has anyone checked for run-out on the rims or hub or bearings?

Quick Reply: uneven tire wear