Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Steering pump keyway

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 02:56 AM
Rick A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering pump keyway

HI, all; I have an easy question: I bought a replacement steering pump for a '99 Caravan and it's shaft has no keyway like the original. The old pulley isn't a very tight press fit and it seems like it could slip. I'd cut a keyway in it but it's hard steel and it's too close to the bearing to try and anneal it. Does anyone know if this is correct or should I try and exchange it for a pump with a keyed shaft? Thank you.

Rick A

Old 10-02-2011, 06:05 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

There shouldn't be a key way on the p/s pump. It should a press fit. You may need to buy the p/s pulley for the new pump.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:11 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

go to ur local part store and borrow this P/S pulley puller/installer. The Tool's box should have insturction on how to use it. Or just google it if it doesnt.

pulley is pressed in, If the new one is too loose, go buy a new pulley, should be less than $15.
Don't try to hammer the pulley on, the pulley is plastic, you will either crack the pulley and damage the p/s pump.

Last edited by steak59; 10-02-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Rick A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you both; the pulley slides on too easily for my taste- guess I need a new one like you suggest.

Rick A

Quick Reply: Steering pump keyway