Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

1998 Dodge Caravan - Issue with headlight switch and power door locks

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:16 PM
genx80s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dodge Caravan - Issue with headlight switch and power door locks

1998 Dodge Caravan SE (3.3L V6) - First is the headlight switch. When you turn the lights on, the lights do not always turn on (the parking lights always do, however). If you wiggle the switch, the headlights will turn on. Sometimes they turn on normally without having to wiggle the switch.

Second is the power door locks. Apparently, the driver's side power lock switch will only lock the driver's side. It may unlock some or all of the other doors (not sure). The passenger power door lock switch does not appear to work at all. Also, sometimes the two back door locks and the back door gate will continually try to lock themselves. I think this may be triggered when the driver's side door is opened up all the way to the point where it triggers the power locks. I assume that when the driver's side door is opened all the way, that all of the doors are supposed to unlock. All I know for sure is that almost everytime the driver's side door is opened all the way, the back door locks start making noises. The last time this happened, I was able to stop the two back doors from doing this by manually unlocking them with the inside lock. For the back gate, I first tried to use the key to unlock the door while it was making this noise and could not unlock it. On the second attempt, I was able to unlock it

Does this sound like one or both could be a bcm (body control module) issue? As far as I know, we are not having any other trouble with any other electrical system. I called a dodge dealership service department and was told that worst case it would need a new bcm (part is $765). However, I was also told it could just be the light switch for the lights and possibly just wiring for doors. Is there any way to get a better idea of what is causing the problem before I take it in to the dealership for them to search for the cause?

Last edited by genx80s; 10-05-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Not all of question was present once I submitted; give type of engine
Old 10-05-2011, 10:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

I would try a new headlamp switch first and replace the liftgate actuator. And maybe replace the sliding door ajar switches. both sliding doors.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Amen on the headlamp switch, very common. I also don't think BCM, more likely wiring or another component. I don't believe the '98 model year had the unlock on open feature. And if it did, it would unlock the doors as soon as the door ajar switch made contact, not with the door opened all the way. Maybe you have broken wires in the door jam.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 PM
genx80s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The van is being looked at today. As far as the power door locks, a cut wire was found in the door panel. This is going to be spliced back together to see if it corrects the problem. As far as the headlights, they can not yet reproduce the problem. When I brought the van to them yesterday, the owner of the shop saw the light problem when I turned the lights on. However, today the lights are working. They are going to keep trying with the lights to try to determine if it is the switch or an electrical problem.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

90% chance of it being a switch. Personal opinion

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Caravan - Issue with headlight switch and power door locks