Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Rack and pinion bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:46 PM
jrp27540
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rack and pinion bad?

How can you tell if your rack and pinion is bad? I have a 2003 caravan sport. I have been tracking down the classic "knocking" in the front end. When you turn the wheels left and right, there is a distanced thud/knock. While i was rotating the tires today, I was poking around trying to see if I could see anything. While I had up up on the jack stands, I turned the steering back and forth with my hands, trying to identify the knock. Now the front end The front end shutters when I steer left or right....rack and pinion?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:47 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Does it do it if you turn the steering wheel while the tires off of the ground to see if it is still there?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:44 AM
mike bloom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your sway bar links and bushings.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Tizzy1
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the shudder comes from air in the system. For some reason, if you lock the lock the steering in the air without it running, it kind of aerates the fluid. It will eventually work it's way out or you can apply a vacuum to the system to remove it quicker.

The clunk noise swearving back and forth while driving is usually the sway bar bushings

Quick Reply: Rack and pinion bad?